1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius III Lease Terms

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by lanewprius, May 1, 2012.

1. lanewprius

lanewprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Three
    I'm new here and it seems not only is it hard to compare pricing for all the different models but also lots of factors. Looking for opinions on leasing. I'm pretty sure I want to lease this (dark grey exterior - standard 2012 Prius III. No sun roof). Details below.

Term: 36 months
    12,000 miles (but I only drive about 9,000 miles a year so this is fine)
    Trade- in value: $2500 (can I push them to raise this?)
    Gross Capitalized cost (I think this means car price): $25,750
    They would apply $1770 to my cost, remainder would take care of 1st month, title and tax so I pay nothing out the door.
    Residual value: $16,100
    Monthly payments would be $325

In Southern California. Really would like lower monthly payment if possible. Going back tomorrow to sign. Is this good deal or should I push for something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    don't let them fool you that any of the 1770 is going towards tax, there is no tax upfront when you lease, you pay small monthly taxes, or at the end if you buy it out, perhaps this refers to registration? I know my toyota dealer took care of my registration for me.
    I'd just check to make sure thats what they mean

3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In California, if you have a cap reduction, it is taxed. It's part of the depreciation.

4. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My trade in value went from $16,100 to $21,500 in three attempts to get out the door without buying a car...I failed on the third attempt.

Your trade does have to be reasonable. Check the value via Kelly Blue Book etc.

On the 2012/III get the Solar sun roof especially in sunny SoCal. It actually works to keep the car cool as the local ambient vs. the in the sun 1,000 degrees Kelvin it gets on a sunny day. Plus you get some fun tech stuff like the Nav and the Entunes internet connection. We all grouse about it but it does work and is a nice feature.

Make sure you take a ride of some duration as the seats are uncomfortable for many and the only cure is the power seats which means buying a Prius III/4.