1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012+ Prius Losing Coolant, Overheating,Hesitating, 300k miles, solution never found, now total loss

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by paulsidcustom, Nov 8, 2016.

1. paulsidcustom

paulsidcustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Just thought I'd share with you the experience I had with my 2012 Prius v lowercase v for the Prius v wagon One w/ 2ZR-FXE engine, bought it brand new w/ 0 miles in 2011, the issue started with a (what sounded like a knocking sound in the intake) and hesitating at around 300,000 miles, this is a cab and I've had one other fellow cabbie with the same issue. It also started to lose coolant at the same time. Engine light for random misfire or #1 also came on.

So I replaced the

1) reservoir cap

Same issue, the more it lost the more it hesitated, next was

2) fuel injector number one and spark plug

same issue, next was the exhaust heater assembly, we cleaned it out, thought it had a block, and cleared the heater core

3) exhaust heater and heater core flush

same issue, lost about a gallon a day or about 300 miles

We checked the water pump, turned on fine, changed the thermostat, first Napa brand, didn't work (return spring was too hard, opened way too late), then original toyota.

4)thermostat OEM

same issue, still losing water, next came the radiator, thought it had a block

5) radiator

same issue, still hesitating once the water went down, never overheated, just lost water through the cap or probably in the engine, never had smoke or water in the oil, keep reading

6) checked to make sure fans were working, seemed fine, changed the relay to be safe, same issue, changed temperature sensor as well on side of the head.

7) Next, I had reached my tipping point, dealer now knew me by now and gave me all the advice for the stuff I've already replaced, so I thought it was a crack in the head or cylinder wall, so what the heck, I put some of the BlueDevil (after removing the thermostat), car ran great, no hesitation, heat worked great, MPG's were great, for about 4 days, then started losing coolant again, filled it up each night, then the car totally stopped from overheating (light came on), a safety in the ECU, had it towed, dealer said water pump was losing ground, okay great, hopefully they fixed it, $1300 bill, if I did it myself it wasn't much cheaper ($745 water pump, plus the re-tow and coolant, $300 diag fee included in the bill, so I just let them do it), plus they cleared the codes.

8) Car ran great for about 5 days, it started to lose water again, thought it was an airlock, so each night I filled it up. A few days later someone rearended me, car was a total loss because unibody repair was more than the value and the battery pack cracked and flooded car with acid, lost my $1400 Taxi seats as well but I'm lucky to walk out of it. Still going after the responsible party for work lost but never did figure out the issue but it was most likely a crack in the head or #1 sleeve due to the loss in water, probably from the faulty water pump or reservoir cap.

About my other cabbie, same car, same mileage, had a similar issue, it was never solved, he junked the car. He stopped at the exhaust heater assembly because the dealer emphasized heavily on this for some reason.

So I don't know something seems to be happening to these cars at 300k miles. Got a new Prius now, I'll get back in a few years with its progress, having a Ford Escape with 430k miles still on the original engine and very little maintenance, sold it running. I hoping this one will last longer.

#1 paulsidcustom, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow.

To be fair, MOST vehicles hitting 300K have served a good life...especially if you are the original owner. Many vehicles start having significant component failure after 100K from basic wear and tear in spite of keeping up with maintenance. Unless it's all highway miles, high miles indicate a lot of wear and tear on the components.

3. paulsidcustom

paulsidcustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Thanks, I'm also thinking maybe not changing the battery pack as a maintenance could of damaged the water pump but I'm just guessing now, I can buy batteries now even at the local parts store, just a guess.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! wow, you really got great service out of that prius. i hope the next one does as well. all the best!(y)

5. paulsidcustom

paulsidcustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Thanks, I think it could of lasted a bit longer, because at 6 years it would of been taken out of the fleet anyway plus it wasn't paid off and the gap insurance covered it. Not happy about that and the other party had no insurance. My insurance will pursue them rigorously. Hope to see someone get it passed 400k on all original major parts.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not sure we're seeing gen3 do what gen2 did.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm reading this, keep saying "head gasket" to myself and waiting for you to get to that news but it never came. Engines/transaxles are fairly cheap, why didn't either of you consider swapping them out and keep going?

Imran As and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. paulsidcustom

paulsidcustom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    I hear you, got prices on engines $850-$1100 all less than 122k miles, its just a big job, I thought I could of got it running, difference was night and day when the coolant was at the correct level. That would of been the next step. The reason I thought it wasn't a head gasket because working on car's before becoming a cabbie, the car would not last 2 days before needing coolant, it would of overheated almost instantly. Could still have a slight rip in the gasket between #1 and #2 but I would of seen other symptoms, car just ran too perfect when topped off.

9. Cap'n Steve

Cap'n Steve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used K Stop. For 10 bucks my blown head gasket went away. :) At least for now.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

m.wynn and vegan like this.
  10. Paul Christian

Paul Christian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys

11. Paul Christian

Paul Christian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi guys we had same problem
    Loosing water no leaks visible
    No moisture in oil or radiator
    Turned out to be Head Gasket
    So if your loosing water and no visible leaks it’s your head gasket

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's unfortunate. How many miles did you have on the clock when this happened?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Mukunda

Mukunda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    do we see any codes in CEL scan if it is Head Gasket ?

14. sleekitwan

sleekitwan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    I would chime in with head gasket. I have had a couple of cars do this.

A small Citroen Diesel (non-turbo but a big engine for its size), which started to ‘chuff’ as I went up a small incline, and this chuff-chuff went in time with the engine rpm. Thus, an easy diagnosis tbh. Heartwarming moment…I called the breakdown company, they sent someone out, and I was home 90 minutes later or something.

Why heartwarming? Because I wasn’t even a member. It had lapsed. I mean, Green Flag, I salute you. Rescued me backside.

Anyway, harder one was a big automatic VW Passat. It was a VERY slow onset. Some small dribbles of coolant, of course, it was mixed with oil by the time it hit the paving or driveway. The initial issue was a ‘browning’ of the reservoir bottle, and you might find that coolant reservoir bottle does that, and maybe even splits. And of course, internal heater matrix radiator thingy, the pipes to that will leak too…

I give these examples, to show that a head gasket can blow in different ways. The very commonly-discussed manner, is when coolant leaks into the oil, and/or oil leaks into the coolant, because if you’ve seen a head gasket you will know the water and oil ways are separated only by a few mm, so a breach doesn’t take much.

The ‘chuff-chuff’ one was a very ‘dry’ basic head gasket blowout, it just breached to atmosphere, and thus you could hear the air puffing out of the particular cylinder that was affected. That was a 150,000 mile little diesel.

So I am simply in accord with the first comment - wow. 300k miles, mega.

I have never owned a Toyota until this Prius gen 3. I never expected to have one, and felt sure ‘synergy drive’ was just characteristic misuse of the word ‘synergy’. It turns out, the transmission is probably the most robust and durable I could possibly have bought, in any class of vehicle. Properly maintained of course.

So, yes, my 2c worth is it’s a head gasket that was causing this issue. Likely spraying water/coolant around inside one or two cylinders, and of course the Atkinson cycle, probably masks this sort of issue, makes it variable. Obviously, coolant doesn’t do too much except introduce a load of steam to the exhaust, when squirted into the combustion chamber. And, it will interfere with the burn, hence hesitations/misfires. Which might not be dramatic or anything, but you get a loss of pulling power and charging quality, requiring the engine rev more to do its work?

Hope mine lasts 300k, I’d be chuffed.

Take care all.

bisco likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think you'll see any codes