1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius low beam fuse

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by john reynolds, Jan 17, 2017.

1. john reynolds

john reynolds New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, my GF has a 2012 prius hybrid, so I think I'm in the proper forum. Her low beam headlights stopped working so I popped the hood, knowing nothing about her car, and located the fuse box on top the driver side tire. According to the diagram, locations 20 and 29 hold the 15A fuses for the low beams, but they are missing! Perplexed , I wiggled the connector on the driver side light and it came on. I had to replace the other side's bulb with an H11, and now both lights work -- with the fuses missing! What am I missing here? Thanks John

2. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't think they changed the fuse layouts from 2010 to 2012, but I could be wrong. See attached.

Attached Files:

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Prii with different option levels and sold into different markets can have significant differences in the headlight wiring (and other wiring too). I don't know about 2012 specifically, but I know my 2010 headlight circuits would have been quite different in the Canadian flavor with DRL, for example. I generally find the legends printed on the fusebox covers to be about as useful as the scrawls on the door of the circuit breaker panel at your grandfather's house, because they cover several variations. A lot of the time, they give enough of a hint to find the right fuse. When I really want to know what's on what fuse, I do go to the wiring diagram, which shows all the variant possibilities and which versions of the car they are used in.

Don't forget there's also a fuse panel under the instrument panel. (Is it the gen 4 that also has an additional 2-fuse holder tucked under the left kick panel ahead of the door trim? I forget....)

-Chap

4. john reynolds

john reynolds New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

5. john reynolds

john reynolds New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the info. I figured it out. There is a 40A fuse labeled P/I 2 that handles both low beams and other things in my box. The 2 unused low beam fuses threw me off. Toyota must have decided to combine the lo beams with P/I 2 after they made the fuse box.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are probably other variants (different trim levels or in different markets) where those are used. :)

-Chap

7. mikejaz2

mikejaz2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi all, new memberl here...this is pretty distressing...the fuse diagram in my owner's manual is waaaaay different than the one RRxing linked to up above...thanks for that, and I think I've come to the same conclusion as John Reynolds.

Now I gotta go wiggle the low beams and see if they work...for some reason, both of them stopped tonight!