1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Map update, map version?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FredericaMG, Dec 25, 2015.

1. FredericaMG

FredericaMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is my first time posting, and I apologize because I am sure I'm doing it wrong. I don't know how to find any subforums; I don't see any divisions on the Gen 3 Main Forum main page except that it goes on for 463 pages.

This question has to do with maps.

I love my 2012 Prius 3, which I got a couple of weeks ago. Previously, I had a 2008 Prius 3 and loved it too.

With my old Prius, I had to buy a new Map DVD from time to time. As I search online, I can't be sure if I need to buy a DVD for the 2012, or is it updated some other way.

Also, I can't figure out how to find out what version of the Map I have at present. The instructions I find online say to start by pushing a button for "Info", but there is no Info button. "Setup" doesn't give me any Map information, and the Map App doesn't have an Info or General button either.

Apologies again for doing it wrong. If you can help me to know how, I'll post it better next time.

2. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thoughts maps can only be updated by getting ripped off at the dealer.

iPhone ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! why not ask the dealer, you have to buy the dvd from them anyway.

4. FredericaMG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the car secondhand from a Honda dealership in a different state, so they don't know much, and have no interest in helping me. I can ask my local Toyota dealer. I was hoping to go in already informed.

So it's still a DVD system, in the 2012? It's funny that there's nothing in the manual about how to update the map.

There isn't any DVD player under the driver's seat, but it sounds like at some point the player was moved to the dashboard. But did it then change to a different form of updating, like, is it downloaded or something?

How can I find out what version I currently have?

For my 2008, I used to buy the DVD updates on eBay and save $.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't heard of any other way to update. is the unit under the passenger seat? i think i read on the large screen, it swings forward and the dvd is behind it, but not sure.

6. FredericaMG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's no unit under the seat, as there was in the '08.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so how to update the map? i have also read that some are being updated with usb flash.

#7 bisco, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  8. par_struggle

par_struggle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If yours is like my 2010 III, not Three, it's a DVD. I purchased mine a year old off eBay for $50 rather than making the $200 purchase at the dealer for the newest map. You'll need to make sure you grab the DVD that matches your head unit. Yes, the DVD is in the head unit behind the screen on mine. Mine is a jbl e7022 head, if yours is an entune unit it's possible none of this may apply. That's how it works for some gen 3 owners, anyway.

bisco likes this.
  9. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have heard and read on the Internet that Toyota navigation unit sux... And I mean, really really really sux and slow.

Why not just buy a standalone unit with a lifetime update?

iPhone ?

10. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 Prius 4 with JBL and asked the dealer the same question last month. I was told for me that the maps in my system would need to be updated by usb. I think the quote was somewhere around $160. I passed.

11. FredericaMG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, what do you know. So no one has seen hide nor hair of a DVD in the 2012 Prius 3?
    Yeah, I know. It's actually a worse gps system, with worse graphics, than the one in my 2008 Prius.
    I will probably end up using Google Maps on my phone, when I'm going someplace I don't know, and need to know about traffic. It eats up data, is the problem.

Yes, mine is a Generation Three, and also a Prius 3, meaning it's the mid-point package; it has the Nav system, but not the leather seats and other fancies.

#11 FredericaMG, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's a great post by tideland showing all the iterations of toyota gps. it doesn't go by year or generation or package.

13. worrachai

worrachai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ask to Thailand dealer also. The price is $180 exclude VAT. OMG!!!! I passed it also.

BTW, GPS stand-alone price in Thailand is only $80.

I try to find the aftermarket software but I cannot. If you can recommend, It's great for me.

14. RawInDesign

RawInDesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have Gen 3 2012 it's now 2020 Never had a major issue with the non updated navigation system. Never get lost and Travel many unknown areas across 1/2 U.S.A. Don't use the entune much I have cell phone if I need to look up hotels restaurants or the alike. But time of arrival stays updated keeps track of gas and costs gives 3 routes fastest, eco, or least miles I find it easy and it works don't have to worry about phone connection, battery nor data cost. FL to Nebraska $45 bucks! wahoo love my toy hybrid for sure. it keeps on keepin on Hot Humid Cold, Snow and all in between; flat land the highs and lows it's all good and the best the cost is low simply and basic it goes and goes. Silver with red leather interior. A bit of pizzazz in a class only owners know financially wise.

Johnny Cakes and ASRDogman like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base