2012 Prius - New Calipers, Pads Still Dragging (hot brake discs)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreimontreal, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a caliper that wouldn't release on my Jeep. The rotor was heating up. Everybody, including me, thought it was a frozen caliper. The problem ended up being a collapsed/defective brake hose - the hose that connects the caliper to the metal brake line. I couldn't believe it. But I bought a new Raybestos brake hose at Autozone for $35, installed it, and the caliper worked perfectly.

I never would have believed that something as simple a brake hose, which looked perfectly normal on the outside, could fail internally. Apparently, part of the inner rubber hose can collapse and block the flow of fluid in one direction. I'm not sure if that ever happens on Toyotas, but it happened on my Jeep. So it might be worth a look if you experience a frozen caliper.

Grit likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Titanic Social Director

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone mighta used hose clamps on it too?

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The easiest way to check is the raise the wheel and spin it, if it sticks, release the bleeder screw.
    Does the wheel turn freely? If yes, then the caliper is probably okay.
    if not, close the bleeder, pump the brake pedal a few times. Then release the hose on the caliper.
    Does the wheel turn freely? If so, not the caliper.... Hose, line, or master cylinder.

4. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be that the wrong disks were supplied. They were a bit
    thicker so the pads dragged. Went back to the supplier and when they rechecked and provided the
    proper disks everything worked normally. That took several weeks of torment and many disassemblies
    before the truth became evident. If you still have the old parts a cross check is not difficult. Good Luck
    with getting it sorted out.

Montgomery and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. andreimontreal

andreimontreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it the last piece of the hose connecting to the caliper?

Got busy, still have to double check all the lists I got. The good thing is that I ordered the rubber hoses for the rear calipers so I might try and see if this is the case if everything else fails.