1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius pkg3 nav makes me ANGRY!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gilbert, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ive had my car for about 2 weeks now, and every time i try to use the stupid navigation it never works. it make sme so mad that i just shut it off and have to use my iphone for direcctions. my previous 08 navigation was soooo much better!!!

i cant get a s single address entered on this stupid nav. most of the time requires me to enter a zip code and for whatever reason after i enter it and try to type the street address, it gets greyed out as soon as i start typing numbers, like theres no entry. finally managed to get the voice command for it working once out of about 22 times that i tried. makes me even more angry that the voice command for the destination wants me to specify a zipcode as well.

is there ANY way to make this horribly bad nav to work atleast close to the same level of the 08 prius nav?? i remember you just pick your zone on the map and all you need is to enter street address and it will look only in that area and you dont need to specify stinking zipcode or any other useless stuff.

i am almost to the point of not even try to use it any more, because honestly it makes me angry that it never seems to work.

2. Linda513

Linda513 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I totally agree. This is my 3rd prius, and the nav system on the 05 and 08 was perfect in my opinion. The dealer told me that everyone complained about it because it was a dvd based system, but I had no trouble with it. It had a large screen, with great resolution, user friendly and fast. This one has none of those qualities. How about the great feature of being able to say "gas" with the voice activation system and gas icons pop up everywhere? This one won't do that, so you have no idea where gas stations are while you are driving.

And I thought having Pandora would be a great benefit, but 75% of the time the car can't connect to Pandora, so I just give up and listen to my ipod or the radio.

I am looking into buying a Garmin. This nav system is useless to me.

3. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I feel the same way about the 2012 nav, but I found a fix!! I use bing to search for the address. The nav uses the internet to figure out the zip etc. Since using that method it's been great for me!!

4. Linda513

Linda513 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does Bing connect more easily than Pandora? If it has the same problems as Pandora I will never get anywhere.

5. jabecker

jabecker driver of Prii since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Totally and completely agree with you. The nav on my 2005 was starting to get a bit dated, but at least it worked! This one? :eek:

Regarding zip codes, I haven't had to enter them. Look under Setup --> Navigation. Make sure the setting "Auto Complete Destination Entry" is set to "On" and see if that helps.

What I'd like to know is... it keeps splitting the screen at every freeway exit to tell me what's at that exit. I can't read it because *I'm driving down the freeway!* But I can't find any way to get it to stop doing that. :mad:

And totally and completely miss the ability to ask it to show particular POI icons, and then turn them off if I didn't need them. Not to mention "suspend" and "resume." :mad::mad::mad:

ETA: I realize I can ask it for stuff like "gas," but all it will show me is a list and then it wants me to read the list *while I'm driving* to pick one. Just show me the blankety-blank icons. Stupid thing.

6. Linda513

Linda513 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried your bing method, but it wouldn't connect. Strike out for me.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the Lexus systems (which have been "splitting" the exit for years) there is a button right above the zoom in button that when pressed gives another menu of what you want it to display. One of them is as you describe. Some are 2 maps at different zoom levels, some are always split, some are never split, that sort of thing.

Seeing the freeway exit and which lanes are exit only, which are non-exit, and which are exit but not exit only lanes is very valuable in a city you're not familiar with. Even in a more dense area that you've never been to, it helps a lot.

8. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In the Nav manual, the thing I'm talking about is called the "freeway exit information screen." This is a split that lists stuff like "This is exit #456B!" "Oh, look! You can have a hamburger at McD's if you get off here!" and "Oh look! There's a gas station!" It shows this split every time I pass a freeway exit -- not the exit that I actually want, but all of the other exits.

When I get to the exit that I actually want, it does show the lanes that exit and the lanes that don't, etc. I don't mind that at all. It's the random stuff at the exits I'm not getting off at that annoys me.

There is a button to display how you want the screens split, but this is not one of the options you can turn off... or at least I can't figure out how to do so.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As far as I know, as long the split is enabled you will get both the split when you are actually exiting and the split at every non-exit. It actually comes in handy when driving long distances. A quick glance at the icons shows if there is gas or not. I think the only way to turn that off is to make it not have a screen split at all.

10. pacohaas

pacohaas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I played around with voice navigation commands on my way home yesterday and did not have to specify a zip code. Just say the address normally and it worked for me: Destination 123 Fake Street, Madison, Wisconsin.

11. Linda513

Linda513 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are we all talking about the same navigation system? From what I understand the Prius 4 and 5 have the old wonderful highly functional navigation system that we all knew and loved in the models up to 2010.

However the Prius 3 has the small dysfunctional green/gray navigation system that doesn't have any of the options of the old nav system.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The voice command crap doesn't work for me. It's like I'm speaking to someone in another country. The street names it reads back to me are nothing like what I asked for. Stopping to type in an address is easy but trying to enter anything while moving via voice commands will make you want to go Office Space on the damn thing!

13. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I never enter zip codes, just the town, then street, then number and it seems to work fine for manually entering addresses.

Have you tried just entering that info and leaving out the zip code?

Can't answer for previous Prius navs but the 2012 Nav is no dumber than the one on my 2009 Escape Hybrid. Prius is definitely better in most regards specifically the Bing search and then being able to Nav to the search results. The phone book addresses don't read but this was not even an attempted feature on the Ford which was strictly manual entry of the address.

As for the "voice recognition", never worked on the Ford and doesn't seem to work on the Prius. It seems to think I'm speaking Klingon or something.

14. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are at least 3 nav systems that I know about:
    1) The wonderfully functional system that was in models up to 2010.

2) "Display Audio With Navigation." This is in 2012 Prius models Three, Fours without the sunroof option, and Fives without the advanced tech package; Prius C models Three and Four; PIP, Prius v Four and Five

3) "Premium HDD Navigation." This is in 2012 Prius Fours with the sunroof and Fives with advanced tech; PIP Advanced; Prius v Five with advanced tech.

I'm not sure what was in 2010 and 2011 Prii as I wasn't really paying attention then.

The Primium HDD Navigation is what's driving me crazy. The Display Audio at least has a full compliment of voice commands.

15. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Note, the map-related voice commands available with the "Premium" HDD Navigation are:
    "Find nearby <POI Category>" -- this will display a list. It does not display POI on the map.
    "Enter an address"
    "Go home"
    "Set A Destination"

That's it. That's all. Period. All other voice commands control the phone, audio, or XM data.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about you use the "Single Map Mode"?? If you use Dual Map (split screen), it'll automatically go to Freeway Mode when you're on the freeway.

Correct. Make sure you guys aren't mixing up systems. The Display Audio system (6.1" Screen) is what the OP is asking. The "Premium HDD Nav" with the 7" screen is more similar to the previous navigation systems (because it's the Denso unit)

Correct. The 2010 and 2011 use the DVD-based Denso unit (similar unit to the Premium HDD) and should have similar commands for navigation while driving (which is limited).

For "Show POI", you have to set what POIs to show on your own. It's to show your custom POI icons.

17. jabecker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am in single map mode. That's the first thing I checked. I have the "premium" system, you know.

18. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The only way I can get voice command to work on navigation is to do the following (my wife has the car right now so I can't confirm the exact commands, but it goes something like this

At first beep say Enter state
    After saying the state say enter city
    After saying the city say enter street
    After saying the then say enter house number

Like I said I I cannot confirm the exact words and it may not use the word Enter you may have to say select instead of enter.
    When you do it backwards starting with the state you can get it to work. It will take awhile, but at least you don't have to stop the car and enter it manually.

I agree though, and have said it before, the 2012 navigation system is 10 steps backwards from previous Toyota navigation systems.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yuiqmm

19. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Moving from 2011 nav, I feel the Display Audio (I have basic PIP, pretty similar to level 3) has a lot of quirks, but as one poster said, I can hit voice command, say "destination", then it asks for number, street, city, state and I say it all at once at a reasonable pace and it hasn't tripped up yet. I like that. I also don't mind the Garmin-like graphics even if not high res.

But, the speakers suck, bluetooth calls sound tinny, having to plug my iPhone in to use entune is dumb, I could go on. Not sure the advanced unit is better, from what others are saying.

I'm planning aftermarket speaker/amp upgrade which will address sound quality I hope, but hopefully Toyota can update some of the software snarls out.

20. jon_lancaster_toyota

jon_lancaster_toyota Nate Riesen

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interestingly, the Nav that you have now ( 7.1" Screen ) is the same system that you had in your old Prius assuming it was a '10 or '11. The system that you have now is the next generation of that older model.

I'd like to try the address on my own. Could you post or PM that address to me? Perhaps I can understand what's going on there.

In a previous post, the poster with the Lexus is correct. There is a button on the screen that allows you to de-activate different modes of that Nav screen. If I remember right it's FREEWAY LIST or FREEWAY EXIT LIST. You'll probably have to be on the interstate in order to de-activate it