1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius plug in and sudden clicking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SuzyGS, Sep 5, 2018.

1. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Today on the highway my 2012 Prius Plug In with only 47K miles started making this clicking noise. The noise stops completely at speeds 22 mph or less, and there is no noise when I turn the car. What could this be? Anybody else ever experience this? The car has always been serviced, by the way. The noise seems to be coming from the right front wheel area. I Googled this and the sound is similar to the clicking sound of a bad CV joint, but the symptoms aren't the same.

I bought the car last summer (first owner was TVA, a govt agency) and this is the first trouble I've had. I don't have a regular mechanic -haven't found one in Huntsville AL- but I really dislike the local Toyoya dealership, as I feel they cheated us on my daughter's Prius repairs.

If there's anyone knowledgeable out there who has any ideas of some things I can check on my own, I'd love to hear them. My son looked at the CV joint and it didn't look damaged to the inexperienced eye. We didn't see anything loose hanging down. At first I was convinced I'd somehow run over a little branch or something and would simply need to pull it out from under the car, but no such luck.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nail in your tire?

Raytheeagle and SuzyGS like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pebble?

4est and SuzyGS like this.
  4. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    I ran out to check and there IS a small nail in the tire! It's stuck all the way in and all you can see is the head, which is flush with the tire. Could that cause a noise?

Incidentally, I turned my tire hard to be able to see the inside edge of the tire, and it looks completely different on the inside - just awful! I'm sure I will have to replace it. Maybe when I have it replaced, the mechanic will be able to tell me if anything else is wrong.

5. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Not only was there a nail, but also a tiny pebble in the tread.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    double whammy

7. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Absolutely, a nail will cause that clicking sound. Now you need to find out what was wrong to make your tire lean the wrong way.

SuzyGS likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking the tire thread is what's causing the noise, it's uneven and you notice it at higher speeds. It's probably been like this for a while and you haven't noticed until now

Unless the nail head is big and not flush, you normally wouldn't hear it.

SuzyGS likes this.
  9. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    I'll find out more tomorrow when I get that tire replaced. I hope the noise is from the bad tire. If it is, I suspect the tire sustained some more damage today, maybe from wear and tear that just got to be too much, because the sound started very suddenly. Maybe there is something wrong with the alignment. I'll post what I find out. Thank you everyone! That tire is a safety hazard and I might not have known if this didn't happen today, AND if I hadn't gotten these post responses.

10. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    If tomorrow's new tire replacement doesn't fix this, I'll have to take your advice. Thank you.

11. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    If tomorrow's new tire replacement doesn't fix this, I'll have to take your advice. Thank you.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you might just need a plug, if the tire is in otherwise good shape.

SuzyGS and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, unless the nail is very close to the edge. I've plug repair where the nail was slightly less than an inch from edge of tread.

Dealership said it was too close, but: they are obligated to use inside/outside style plug. This requires removal of the tire, the plug has an internal disc that cannot be used close to tread edge.

The old-school plug repair is just a sticky rope loop, pushed through from outside, with a needle that has a slit at the tip. You push it rhrough, then pull the needle back out, and the rope loop slips through the slit in the needle tip, stays embedded. Finally you trim any remnant flush with a razor blade.

I went with the latter, that was maybe 5 years back, still using that tire. Had a similar puncture about a year later, with one of our snow tires, did the same thing. Still using that tire too.

There are inexpensive kits in bubble packs, in Walmart for example. One name is Slime. I went with a BlackJack kit, more solid/complete, lots of plugs, durable case.

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would agree, guys, except for post #4. Suzy said the inside edge of the tire is messed up. I'll be interested to find out the diagnosis when she gets back from the shop. In fact, a picture would be great. ;)

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's the original tires, with 47K miles, could be time for a new set.

SuzyGS and JC91006 like this.
  16. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Yep, the tire had suddenly burst on the inner edge and when it did, the innards started making that clicking sound. It was a very noticeable and sudden development, though I bet it was a long time coming. I'm glad I was less than a mile from home when it happened. Had to drive to the nearest tire repair place (since there is no spare) which was Walmart. They advised what we already suspected - get an alignment. I'm actually really kind of impressed with that tire. It had a nail, and was misaligned to the point of shredding, and still did not go flat. Clicking is all gone.

17. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Sorry I didn't take a pic. You could WIRES coming out of the tire facing the inner side of the car!

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good thing the clicking started before the tire blew!

SuzyGS likes this.
  19. SuzyGS

SuzyGS Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, I definitely know I was blessed by that warning and also because it happened so close to home! I could be dead. I think the shredded tire was somehow creating that noise.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to know you're all set!(y)

SuzyGS likes this.