1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Plug-In Window Sticker

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Tracksyde, Feb 28, 2012.

1. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, I can't imagine how exciting picking up your cars... enjoy the, all and I also am envious... Will enjoy reading all the posts...

Anybody drive by chicago and near O'hare and need a charge, contact me... (110 only)..

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    3kWh usable? Do you mean from the wall?

SAE Jwotsit?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon me, but I'm having a tough time relating the original spec here ..

http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/97992-2012-prius-plug-in-product-info-pdf.html

Electric driving range
    15 miles

to the window sticker which appears to have ..

11 miles electricity + gasoline driving range
    6 miles all electric range.

------
    Well, bless you all for being early adopters. Just ran the annual fuel cost at $3.70 w/ 3rd gen .... ($3.70/gal)(15kmi/yr)(gal/50mi) = $1,110/yr

4. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's your problem. Its Toyota -- I've been told they always under-promise then over-deliver.

I do think the 6miles AER is not going to help sales The 29kw/100 for the "easier" parts of the EV range is not as good as people hoped. No wonder they announced the 95MPGe and did not mention the AER or other details.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    29 kWh/100mile is lower than tiny i-MiEV which is rated 30 kWh/100mile. That's amazing for a mid size plugin hybrid.

50 MPG on gas is also higher than any other hybrid (ties with Prius c).

6. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The 29kwh/100miles cannot be compared to any other EPA measurement unless it also has exactly .2g/100m as the gas. Cannot say if its better or worse. Its just incomparable.

Yep the 50mpg on gas is great. It needs it since it has a small electric range.

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Prius has always been a full hybrid.

The plug was always meant to boost MPG.

After depletion, MPG is actually better than the no-plug model.

Price of the added plug & capacity is reasonable as a premium option.

There was never anything specific to "EV range" in the goals. That's just spin from those attempting to force PHV into another perspective, rather than acknowledging it as the enhancement it was intended to be. After all, the media still has a hard time dealing with MPG values; stating a range instead is a new attention-getter.

Remember, Prius is a mainstream vehicle, not what automotive enthusiasts like to focus on.

8. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Then why did Toyota publish EV range estimates? No one made them. Is that Toyota Spin? Why was it so far from the final numbers?

What is your view on why has the PHV efficency "news" been very slowly released. We know that they knew what as on the sticker for a while, why did we have to wait to see it. (Because it was bad news for them?) What's next-- an a final revelation of an overall MPGe of 59 (i.e. less than the Volt) or 60 (=the volt). I think if it was > Volt they would have already played that up.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's easy, lack of any other perspective available. Following the early rollout program feedback made that obvious.

Slow?! That was lightening fast compared to the endless dragging we experienced with GM.

10. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't see how lack of perspective made them provide poor estimates nor why its related to the roll out.

Are you joking? The Volt EPA window sticker was released in Nov nearly a month before the cars were starting do be delivered. Probably close to the time they knew it. Prius PHV's shipped some time ago and are now being delivered. The first EPA sticker we see is from a PC member's cell phone as he is at the dealer for his car.

Maybe its selective memory. Sort of like the feeling some have that Toyota would underpromise and overdeliver.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was not comparing vehicle efficiency. I was comparing electricity consumption. The concept should be familiar to Volt owners. You guys love to point out big MPG with electric miles and ignoring kWh consumed.

We know the gas engine would be used for high and peak power demands. Here are the benefits of it. 95 MPGe and 50 MPG thereafter in a mid size that is more affordable with more standard equipments than the Volt. It retains synergy between gasoline and electricity, just at another level.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't realize the focus was solely on the window-sticker.

GM withheld EV range information for well over a year.

GM withheld depleted MPG information for even longer than that.

They claimed to be the most transparent too! At least Toyota attempted to fit that mold until the proper measure became available.

It all boils down to terminology and approach. From Volt supporters, we hear "EV range" and "Gallons saved"... neither of which make any sense for Prius. Yet, efforts continue to force that perspective. Why?

For PHV, you use kWh to boost MPG.

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought they gave 10-15 miles range. In some cases, they said up to 15 miles range with speed up to 62 MPH.

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I mean on the battery itself. What's the usable capacity? The kWh/mi efficiency measurements are battery-to-wheel so back-calculation of efficiency from range would only care about the usable capacity.

SAE J<something> is the efficiency measurement standard for plug-ins. The documentation for calculation of the AER refers to it. I just couldn't/can't be bothered to search back for the reference.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because they place a higher value on reducing or avoiding gasoline consumption than maximizing their estimated energy efficiency (within the context of driving a car).

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It takes 3kWh from the wall for Japanese spec. Usable should be about 15% less.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't get it either. Consuming something more to save something else, is not green.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Replace is not one of them.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my 3rd gen, a 3 mile trip on a cold engine brings down my MPGs. The shorter the trip, the worse it gets. PiP eliminates that. So, it's a super-Prius for those with the dough and dedication to plug it in ... regularly.

1 person likes this.
  19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

36 vs 29 kWhr/100mi CD mode

94 vs 95 Mpge CD

37 vs 50 MPG comb CS

Volt is more electric, PiP more practical/efficient

One thing for sure with volt, can commute 35 miles/day and use almost no gas. Or get 2000 mi / gal and all if that's what you want.

20. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    6 miles of AER? 11 miles of blended mode? Thats horrible! Here I thought it'll get at least twice that range. I was beginning to learn to live with 14 miles of AER if I ever exchange my 10 for a 12 PiP. Any aftermarket conversion kit gets at least 3 times the range. 95MPGe for blended is also not very high. A healthy Enginer kit gets 30-40 blended miles per charge and 90+MPGe. Plugin Supply has even higher MPGe and allows up to 20 miles of AER. I'll have to wait and see what the real word range and mileage actually is.