1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius refused to Start. Error Code P0335 – Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Chuba, Sep 15, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, I just did a little too much LDS.

Half Vast likes this.
  2. Michael Kent Handy

Michael Kent Handy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently had to endure limp mode with my very unreliable hv battery. I do have a replacement hv battery, but the two codes that are for a failed camshaft position sensor and a failed crankshaft position sensor are my current concern. I just today put in the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor should be in today's mail. I read about how some cars need a relearn procedure with a scanner. I have an autophix 7360 made for toyota, and also have an autel that is a ts408 made for tpms. Neither of these likely has the right relearn for either the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. However, I cannot find anything on the internet that's directly about my 2011 prius and these two sensors and whether a relearn proceedure is necessary. Reading this thread makes me wonder if that is the reason several posters have had no response after replacing these sensors? I definitely have had all of the same symptoms leading up to my car finally failing to start and barely making it into a parking lot in limp mode. However, the sensor codes only showed up on my nexas interface after the failure.
    So, my primary question is whether my 2011 prius will need to have a specialized scanner do the relearn proceedure? I will try to see if my autophix 7360 can do it, but I've already looked at listings for the scanners and my autophix is not one listed.
    I suppose that there could just be an automatic learning process, and can't find any information on the ngksparkplugs.com site for whether the specific ntk sensor part needs this kind of relearn proceedure. Nothing specific to my prius is posted. I really would like to be able to search priuschat for this information, but have seen a search function. I only am able to locate specific threads thru links from Google.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing about the crank or cam position sensor needs learning. The sensor either works or it doesn't.

4. SuperOmar

SuperOmar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I am having the same exact problem. Has anyone been able to figure it out? I looked through the whole thread and didn't see anyone come back with the problem resolved.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    some hints on where to start looking at the P0335
    youtu.be/6MRjJQie8fs
    he covers the basics in 4 minutes.

6. SuperOmar

SuperOmar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have watched many videos and done alot of research. However, I have not been able to reach a solution. I am having the exact same problem with the guy in this thread. The problem occured after replacing the head gasket, the car was driven for about 30-45 mins without any problems and then all of the sudden the the died in the middle of the highway.

I tried to figure it out myself, however I couldn't reach a solution. Ended up taking it to the local toyota dealership. It seemed like they didn't wanna bother themselves with it. And so after a few days they called and said they couldn't figure out the problem.

I thought oh, maybe I had screwed up the timing, so I opened back the engine and re did the timing and checked everything else. I have done many engines before and have never had this issue before. Any help would be appreciated!!

7. Michael Kent Handy

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, you are right, and now my engine runs while being very noisy, but a P0A80 code comes up because the old hybrid pack has gone completely bad since Dec 1,2023. After I put in both cam and crankshaft sensors, charged up the 12v off the car, and used my prolong system to get only 1 bar on my hybrid battery....then the engine runs for about a minute or two, is very noisy, and stops when the battery pack fails. I have to make sure the crankshaft is turning, check the pcm for faults, make sure there is not a wiring problem from the crankshaft sensor to the pcm module, and as far as I can tell from listening to the video from cars that DO NOT have the engine running at all....Mine likely does not have a broken transmission connection. The shop I have my car at is puzzled at the codes. However, I believe the solution is finding the cause of the consistent P0335 code (likely in wiring or in some part of the PCM.

8. Michael Kent Handy

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok....mind you that the gen 3 has no serpentine belt, and my crankshaft pulley moves while my engine runs for a couple of minutes, but still have the P0335 code, so something is amiss with the wiring or the pcm/ecu module. The sensor is new and is correctly installed, so maybe once the pcm can read the sensor then the engine will run normally and may warm up and recharge my old NIMH battery enough for me to get the car back to my apartment where I can leave it parked until I can have my new LiP04 battery sent back to California for a version 2.5 update and a recharge before I can install it! Used motors are available that are low mileage, come with intake and exhaust, reliable, and warranted, so hopefully won't need to go there for another 100,000!!!!

9. Michael Kent Handy

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok....mind you that the gen 3 has no serpentine belt, and my crankshaft pulley moves while my engine runs for a couple of minutes, but still have the P0335 code, so something is amiss with the wiring or the pcm/ecu module. The sensor is new and is correctly installed, so maybe once the pcm can read the sensor then the engine will run normally and may warm up and recharge my old NIMH battery enough for me to get the car back to my apartment where I can leave it parked until I can have my new LiP04 battery sent back to California for a version 2.5 update and a recharge before I can install it! Used motors are available that are low mileage, come with intake and exhaust, reliable, and warranted, so hopefully won't need to go there for another 100,000!!!!

10. Michael Kent Handy

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is the pcm module that communicates with the crankshaft sensor behind the ac in a position that requires the dash to be removed to get to it? From the technical threads about the ecu....there are a great number in the gen 3. I just can't find the exact location of the one that is the pcm that needs to work with the crankshaft sensor. I'm hoping it's an easy access and not the one mentioned in the other thread!!!! Also, anyone have the actual part diagram(and not the wiring diagram) for that pcm part. Furthermore, anyone know about the serviceability of that part? As in replacing components and not the whole thing....?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the ECM, and that's right there under the hood next to the inverter.

12. Michael Kent Handy

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I found a link to an article that answers alot of questions many have had on this thread. All of the things like fuel pressure, mass air sensor clealiness, etc. that are listed by Toyota should be checked to pin down any P3190 and P0A80 codes that are associated with P0335 and other failure to run problems! See the link!

Toyota Prius P0A0F And P3190 No Throttle Response: SOLVED | Torque News