1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - Remote Start with app-based access & telematics??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by techiechick, Jun 2, 2021.

1. techiechick

techiechick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am interested in adding remote start for my 2012 Prius. It is a Prius (non-plug-in) level five with the advanced technology package, fully loaded - in case that matters.

I haven't completely decided on brand or type of remote start system - that's where I need your input.
    I would like the new system to utilize an app for connectivity and advanced features. I’m fine with using the app for the remote features, and I would prefer to keep the standard fob for the passive entry, 3x for remote entry with the fob. I would probably only use the remote start feature on the hottest/coldest days of the year, so carrying an additional fob isn’t my preference.
    I’ve researched the Viper SmartStart, DroneMobile, and MyCar and all look good. I like that MyCar has a cheaper subscription plan that includes GPS, but DroneMobile has better security features. I’m also open to other suggestions if you know of a different product that would suit my requirements.
    I'd like to do the installation myself. In the past I've installed the CoastalETech Lockpick, EV mod, and XM in my 2008 Prius, and various car stereos and satellite radios over the years. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and I know how to use a soldering gun. Plus I'm a network engineer, so I'm ok with flashing firmware. However, I do prefer to use pre-wired harnesses whenever possible - why cut/splice/tap the car's original wiring unless you have to, right?

From my research it looks like I could accomplish all this - pretty much plug-and-play with minimal to no splicing/soldering with the following parts:
    Firstech FT-DC3-LC Remote start module
    idatalink ADS-THR-TL7 t-harness cable
    idatalink ADS-USB updater/flash cable
    App-based telematics - DroneMobile X1MAX-LTE or MyCar or ??

Am I missing something?? Is there a better/easier way to accomplish this??
    You guys are the experts... I'd love to hear your comments.