1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius steering wheel

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Prei, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Prei

Prei New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just drove the v...the loaded model. Softex leather is nice--but the steering wheel is the cheap plastic one on the base model. Does anyone know if the 2012 will have a leather wheel like the 2011 w leather has?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Prius v 5 should not have a 'cheap' non leather wrapped steering wheel. Maybe you drove a 2 or 3 that had aftermarket leather installed?

The 2012 Prius 5 like the 10/11 will have a leather wrapped steering wheel (or Softex as now called).

3. Prei

Prei New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The car was 35k, and had factory leather-it just got delivered to the dealer. Another strange thing was it did not have a power seat.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius v was somewhat finalized before the 2012 Prius hence the lack of power driver's seat and 3-dr SKS only on the Five. Hopefully Toyota can be quick enough (or kind enough) to fix it and put it on the Three.

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

"Just got delivered to the dealer" means nothing in that they do do aftermarket leather installs at the port before they get to the dealer in many instances. As for it not having the correct wrapped wheel I'm at a loss then.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is a photo from one of the Toyota web sites of the interior of the 2012 Prius five, steering wheel (and everything else) is the same as my 2010 Prius V.

The one you saw should have been the same unless you were looking at a v instead of a V or a five or a van or whatever. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. mainline

mainline New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sat in a 2012 v stickered at $ 36,000, roof, model V, all the goodies, but it comes with a plastic steering wheel (leather not even an option.) P.S. Love my 2010 V with leather wheel (65,000+ miles and counting.)

8. Prei

Prei New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same issue with the new V. Leather interior but the plastic wheel. I don't know how accurate your posted picture is...it is still showing the all green screen and the new 12's have color..are you sure this is a 2012 picture?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually no I'm not, but I did get it from an official Toyota web site and the title was "2012_Toyota_Prius_008.jpg". But they could be using an older picture.

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That picture is from a 2012 Prius 5 with advanced tech, that I can tell. It is not a Prius v (the wagon).

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought the Prius 5 was what we were talking about. Isn't a Prius 5 a 2011 or newer Prius V and the van/station wagon is a Prius v? :confused:

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The OP confused the issue in his first post:
    He makes it sound like he drove the Prius v but this is in the Gen III forums so I have to now assume he means a 'regular' Prius.

A Prius which is a 5 (or the 2010 V) model has a leather wrapped steering wheel. The Prius v (station wagon) does not have a wrapped steering wheel no matter which model it is, even if a 5 loaded with AT. I just found this out for certain and wanted to clarify. Does the OP mean plastic as in the silver accents on the inside of the steering wheel?

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but the 2012 Prius isn't out yet so he might actually be talking about the v lol.

By "plastic" he probably means the polyurethane steering wheel.

14. hibou

hibou New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As a new owner of a Pv5 I can tell you that the steering wheel is not leather wrapped. We were really remiss about the lack of a power driver seat . . .

15. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    There is no power seat in a Prius OR a Prius wagon. :mad: Not at all.

The 2012's in January/Feb should have it in a IV and a V package for the hatchbacks, and a PHEV Advanced should too.

16. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ...and as for the confusion in this post, I once again thank Toyota Corporate who refused to see that there are 25 OTHER LETTERS in the English alphabet that you could have called this wagon.

I know, "C" is kinda taken for the little one, but that still leaves 24 other letters you could have used! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: and :confused:.

17. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think "SofTex" is a nice name for Naugahyde or REALLY nice vinyl. Toyota says it's green but I think it's cheaper. Hopefully the Nauga herds don't become scarce.

18. 2sk21

2sk21 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are right - it definitely feels like high quality naugahyde. This is
    one of the reasons why I am not buying a Prius V5. I just did not like the feel very much. I prefer either genuine leather or fabric. I can't wait for one of my local dealers to get a Prius V3.

19. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I grew up with vinyl seats: they're hot, cold, uncomfortable, in general, constantly omit a gas that coats the windows making them nearly impossible to clean, and I'll never buy them again, REGARDLESS what they call them. This is a monumental mistake!

20. pvogel

pvogel '05 Five & '12 v

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I actually don't think any Naugas gave up their hides for the v. And as someone who also grew up with Vinyl seats, these are very, very different, it's much more like leather, but a little more breathable. Quite comfortable even on a long drive, of which I've done 3 now in my v, all on days with 80+ degree temps (well, once I got into the central valley at least on my way home from picking it up, it was quite cold in LA) and the sun was burning hot in the sky.

Peter+