1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - The Good Ol' P0301 Gremlin!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by QuarterMileAAT, Jul 13, 2021.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always smacked the head bolts on any engine....
    It only takes a moment.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope everythingis routine and goes very smoothly for you!

3. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, it is an old trick. I did the same thing when I did the HG on my 2000 Ford Ranger. I have this hammer handy and it is one of the tools I have laid out for the job.
    Thanks! Looks to be a pretty straight forward job. The hard parts appear to be the driver side with getting to the hoses. Hoses always tend to be a PITA. I have all the steps laid out and will adjust them as I go along and post them here.

I suppose I can list some best-practice-before-you-start things that I have thought of for a laymen. Mind you, a professional mechanic shouldn't/wouldn't need to do most of these things. This is for the laymen/DIY'er:
    1. Buy paint pens in at least 3 bright assorted colors and label:
      • each ignition coil
      • fasteners of components that are known to be of different length than others and label the location they are to be re-installed into before going into remove them (if possible)
      • find ground wires to ICE, clean area where fastener is attached and number the fastener location, then use tape and label the corresponding wire
    2. Buy painter's tape for labeling
    3. Pre-label ziploc bags to contain fasteners for each component they are to be removed from
    4. Print out torque specs and sequences. Have tape handy to hang them to underside of hood or where ever they need to be for reference
    5. Itemize all electrical components that are to be disconnected in a spreadsheet, give them a unique numeric value. Print out that spreadsheet. As they are disconnected, use tape to label the connector what that unique value. Now you know where it needs to go in case you pull the harness back into position and things end up short
      • Do something similar with vacuum hoses and coolant hoses (probably won't need a spreadsheet. Tape should do
        • Use a different color paint pen for coolant hoses vs. vacuum hoses vs. fasteners
    6. Ensure you've acquired replacement fluids and replacement parts: spark plugs, gasket kit (of course), RTV normally, but in this case the proper thing is to use FIPG, oil filter
    7. Ensure you've acquired all specialty tools: i.e. head bolt socket, oil cartridge wrench, straight edge, pry bar/tool, mechanic's wire
    8. Find a big sheet of cardboard for under-layment; the more the better in case of a nasty spill. An remnant sheet of linoleum works even better
    9. Have wheel chocks ready. I'll be doing this on an inclined driveway
    10. Have floor jack and jack stands ready, along with wood block handy as you will need to raise the engine up on re-assembly
    11. Have all cleaning suppliers and tools handy: brake/carb cleaner (I bought 10 of them), razors for scraping gasket material, denatured alcohol, shop towels, rags
    12. Charge all power tools
    13. Have containers or boxes to hold parts removed in order
    14. Have containers for fluid disposal
    15. Lay out all tools for the job on bench/cart/in boxes/on a tray so you can get to them quickly instead of fumbling for them
    16. Have gloves! When I removed the fan from my Ford Ranger, I scraped the top layer of skin off the back of my hand. Wasn't deep enough to bleed. But was deep enough to leave a huge scab and a scare that took a whole year to fade
    17. Have requisite clothes ready. Long sleeves are preferable as you might get scraped up
    18. Check your steps sheet and print them out
    19. And most importantly, schedule time to do the job. Don't let this be a weeks or month long project. Get it done in one go.
    I have this scoped for my skill level at being a 6 hour job of straight through work IF I was just replacing parts and given my skill level. But I am going to complete it over 3 days because I will have to clean parts myself and let them dry. Some parts are going to soak overnight for cleaning. The last day is dedicated for re-assembly.

Paul E. Highway and ASRDogman like this.
  4. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put this off for a while because of the holidays and because it was cold (low 40's/1st world California problems). Started back at it today, but hit an unexpected snag/red herring (explained here).

There is a coolant leak somewhere. Hope it is from the blown HG or a hose and not a cracked engine. The wire harness is off and I taped off the receptacles for the AC compressor and water pump so no coolant can spill into there causing permanent damage. Something I learned from one of the Youtube videos. That is all I'll do today as a result of the delay. Will set a goal to have the tear down done tomorrow, so the parts can come out to be cleaned. With the proper power tools, this job does not seem hard at all.

5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need a pressure tester. It goes on the tank where the filler is. You pump up the pressure,
    then you listen, and look for a leak. You probably should remove the spark plugs and look
    down into the cylinder for coolant.

QuarterMileAAT likes this.
  6. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I mean to say, the coolant is leaking out of the engine to the pavement. The coolant tank has ran to empty. So obviously, there is a significant coolant leak. Hoping it is a hose or that it is coming out of the blown HG.

I don't have a pressure tester and am too far into the disassembly at this point to even use one if I did. I'll just have to keep an eye out for it during disassembly and cross my fingers that it is not a crack in the lower engine.

So this is where I am at. Also at this point, I feel I am on a suicide mission. My engine may just be kaput. A few things makes me think this:
    1. I have significant coolant leak somewhere in the middle/back of my engine bay. There are no coolant hoses there. So the only repairable source would be through the HG out of the back of the engine. But it could very easily be a crack in the lower engine.
    2. When I went to manually turn the engine to TDC, I felt some tension and some kickback right as I got to TDC
      1. Is this normal?

IMG_5300.JPG

Attached Files:

7. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    yes with the plugs in you'll feel hydro lick from any coolant/fuel in the cylinder.... pull the spark plugs and you should then only feel the cam lobes as resistance. it will be minimal and very short for each lobe. watch out, if there is coolant in a cylinder it will come out in a gush from the empty spark plug hole.

8. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That makes sense. I guess I will find out pretty soon. The head is just about to come out.

9. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am getting ready to put this baby back together today. But I can't seem to find torque specs for the chain guides. Can anyone help?

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This one? This is the timing chain tensioner install. Let me know.

Attached Files:

11. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I can't find torque specs on these and the other chain guide anywhere.
    upload_2022-2-21_9-26-3.png

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, will try to find later today.

My first thought is that they can’t be too critical.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I came to that same pic you posted, and no torque values.

14. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No worries, It isn't sealing anything. Doesn't need to compress evenly I'd imagine. I just went for snug.

IMG_5307.JPG

This is what my HG looked like. Clearly there was failure between cylinder 1 and 2. When the head came off, there was no coolant in the lower engine. Cylinder 1 and 4 were at TDC and were at the same height. Cylinder 2 and 3 were slightly off Is that expected? The engine never overheated and there was no warpage on the lower engine or the cylinder head.

Also, as you can see, there is no failure in the back of the HG. So the source of the coolant leak was not likely the HG, which is a relief (I think). There was some pooled coolant to the back driver side of the engine, under and a little bit back from where the EGR is. I don't remember when I removed the EGR coolant spilling out at all. So I don't know how the coolant got there, unless it came from a hose in the EGR system after I removed it when I wasn't looking. I did not see any evidence of coolant spilling out from the back of the engine, so likely no crack there. Wherever the coolant spill is, it came from somewhere above the transmission, to the driver side of the engine, and under the EGR. Inverter levels are good, so I suspect exhaust gas pressure in the coolant system caused a rupture in a hose or an eruption from the coolant connection. I saw no evidence of rupture on the hoses either. I'll leave the splash panel off for a few days to see if I can reproduce the coolant spill and look under the car to see where it is dripping from.

I cleaned the cam cover and the timing chain cover and am waiting for them to dry. The chain is wired up so that timing doesn't slip a tooth. I'll replace the gaskets in both of those systems tomorrow. Will replace the gasket for the timing tensioner. Then I'd imagine it is all downhill from there.

I learned tons. The biggest pain was removing the harness. I'll remember to sum up the experience once this is all done.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to pressure test the system. If you do that, you'll hear/see where the coolant
    is leaking out from. Maybe a weak hose? A small hole or crack?

Are you saying, #'s 1 & 4 are at the same heighth, at TDC, and that #'s 2 & 3 are at the bottom,
    and NOT the same heighth? You should rotate the engine so they are at TDC and make sure
    they are exactly the same. If they are not, you have a bent rod.

16. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, at TDC with the head off, 2 and 3 looked off by eyeball test.

The head is back on now, so I'll rotate again after the timing cover is back on and measure the piston height on cylinders 2 and 3 when I rotate them to the top of the stroke. I should have done that when the head was off. Report back then.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I'm not mistaken, the (flagged) hole in the wall between cylinder one and two is a coolant passage, and the light color is a failed zone, so there's a route between coolant passage and cylinder one:

upload_2022-2-22_9-37-48.png

Besides that failed zone at cylinder one, it looks like the rest of the head gasket was about to let go too.

And your pic is oriented same as standing at front of engine bay, looking down at head gasket still in place:

upload_2022-2-22_9-39-8.png

18. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What I meant was the source of the external coolant leak (coolant spilling onto the pavement) was not the head gasket. Clearly, the HG failed between the coolant passage and cylinder 1. Hence P0301.

But you can see, the outer back areas of the HG are in tact.

CoolantLeak.JPG

Coolant was observed to be pooled in the area encircled in purple. This leads me to suspect the source of the external coolant leak is a hose issue.

QUESTION: How many turns does it take for the engine to return to TDC from TDC? I will manually turn the engine half that amount so that cylinder 2 & 3 are at the top of the stroke to see if I have a bent rod in those cylinders.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the head ON, then 2, 360 degree turns. An intake and an exhaust stroke.
    All the timing marks should line up. The colored links on the chain won't, but the timing
    marks should.

#99 ASRDogman, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    QuarterMileAAT likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Spillage when removing egr components?