1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius - The Good Ol' P0301 Gremlin!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by QuarterMileAAT, Jul 13, 2021.

1. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like Purple Power shouldn't be used with stainless steel either (link). Personally, I had never heard of the stuff until looking into issues with this repair. The idea of using it came from, of all places, one of the Gasket Masters videos. I'll find some other stuff to use when it comes time to degrease the EGR cooler in another 20k miles. I don't intend on using that valve again since I bought a new one. Who knows that is wrong with it.

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Poured it in a spray bottle with plans to use it to clean the wheels on my truck later."

So you spray your wheels with carboned water? Which get rinsed onto the driveway or road.....
    Oh the humanities!!!!

3. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's still in the bottle. What would you suggest is done to dispose of it?

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My point is, people whine about the environment when I mention oven cleaner.
    But then use the other supposedly claim how environmently safe it is and let it run
    down the driveway or in the road.

I just don't understand why anyone would want to spend hours or days and all the
    physical work to do something that takes less than an hour, and cost's less.

Do whatever you wish with it. I just don't understand why you would want to spray it on your
    wheel, as it has all the carbon in it. Your wheels though.... (y)

5. QuarterMileAAT

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah well, I am not aware those discussions. As for that Purple Power stuff, the FAQ says that it can't be used as an oven cleaner as it is not FDA approved. That would mean oven cleaners are FDA approved? No idea on environmentally friendliness. I've never used oven cleaner in my life.

Anyhooooo, I bought Purple Power to clean my EGR cooler, but then the FAQ says it shouldn't be used to clean stainless steel or aluminum. So it pretty much is useless for the Prius. I can still use it for my truck I suppose. My city has a fluids recycling program, so the used stuff can go into proper containers that are provided for disposal.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tempest in a tea pot, idee fixe?

This page has ingredient disclosure pdf, says Purple Power has sodium hydroxide (aka lye), plus some surfactants and sundry other ingredients. Sounds not that different than oven cleaner, maybe just a little milder:

Purpe Power I Industrial