1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Three with Navi + Entune, line-out for amp?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cosmoman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. cosmoman

cosmoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I just bought a 2012 Prius Three with the Navigation and Entune Head Unit (not worth the money IMHO). Anyhow, I would like to hook-up an amplifier without using the powered speaker cable. Does anybody know if there is a way to get a clean preamp signal from the head unit? Any aftermarket radio has that, I would hope that this expensive monster would have it too. Any feedback on how to is appreciated :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Correllaaron

Correllaaron Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have scoured the forums and I haven't found a solution outside of using a hi level output (powered speaker cable). I plan to use a RCA to speaker cable adapter from JL Audio (XD-CLRAIC2-SW) from the back of the head unit to a 4 lead RCA cable to my aftermarket amp. This seems like the cleanest and simplest way to get signal to my amp. You should post what you decide to do to keep the information flowing on this forum.

Good luck!
    Aaron

3. cosmoman

cosmoman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ended up buying and installing the JBL MS-8 sound processor and amp, together with Infinity Kappa Speakers, 14GA copper cables and some sound deadening material. No need to mention that the result is a substantial improvement.
    Looking back I wish I hadn't bought the Prius Three, but the Two, and installed an aftermarket head unit. The stock radio and GPS is so outdated... Well, live and learn...

Next project: mass loaded vinyl under the carpet, and sound deadening the roof. Putting it off since it will take a lot of hours...

4. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    This exact reason is why I think its better for me to get the II over a Persona even though I love the Red color.

• I hate factory Navigation units, they suck compared to Google Maps.
    • Most factory HU's have built in eqs and crossovers that are meant to protect the factory speakers, but limit you when you go with aftermarket speakers
    • Lack of RCA preouts