1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Two Inverter Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JBradG, Jul 25, 2012.

1. JBradG

JBradG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just purchased a 2012 Prius Two and the inverter started failing the next day. The dealer is telling me a clip holding a wiring harness is broke and they have to order a new inverter. That seems odd to me, but what has me really frustrating is they are telling me there isn't a replacement part anywhere in the US and there is NO ETA when they will get the part. So, I drove my car about 7 days before it wouldn't run anymore and now it sits in the dealer's shop and I have no idea when I'll get my car back. I have a loaner from them, but this is pathetic. Does anybody know the actual status of the inverter part and why Toyota doesn't have the part available SOMEWHERE in the US? Heck, even if it has to come from Japan you would think they could get me the part in a couple of days!!

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You have been seriously unlucky. The inverters are usually pretty hardy things and go on for years and years, though if they do go pop it'll be either straight away or in 10 years time, though saying that doesn't help you any.

Toyota are unlikely to stock the part on a new car as the part is just so unlikely to go wrong, especially on a new model. The dealer have given you a loan can and will fit the new part when it arrives under warranty. Sure it's frustrating after having purchased a new car, and you have been very unlucky, but what more can they do? The part is on its way and they can't magic one out of thin air.

Personally I'd have a beer to cool down and then give the dealer a call to see what I could get to make up for this inconvenience. What about a free extended warranty or they cover the servicing for the first 20k miles etc. Even a new set of carpet mats. You don't ask, you don't get :)

3. JBradG

JBradG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My furstration is that I don't know the part is on it's way. If it was, wouldn't they be able to provide an ETA? If they told me the part would arrive in a 3-5 days and then a day to put it in (shouldn't be that hard to install based on what I see with the part), then I'd be ok. But to tell me they have no idea when I'll get my car back is unacceptable. They are making new Prii in Japan, they should be able to get the part from Japan. Last time I knew, FedEx and UPS shipped to/from Japan.

4. JBradG

JBradG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should add, that the car has been in the shop since Friday, so they've had time to get an ETA on the part. Southeast Toyota Distributors should be able to make company contact with Japan if needed.

5. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a similar situation with a new car of another make, in which equipment listed on the window sticker was missing. The manufacturer told both the dealer and I that due to the wiring harness, they would not install the missing equipment which we wanted. I posted on forums like this one and that helped. I went after the manufacturer, not the dealer, on my own. To make a long story shorter, the manufacturer refunded to me the price of the car plus state sales tax/fees minus miles driven. The lemon law is good but time consuming. It is impractical to go after the dealer in this type of case. In your case the best solution would be for Toyota to replace the car within a reasonable period of time at no cost to you. It would be good if they repair the car in a reasonable period of time, for example 14 days but certainly less than 30 days with a comparable loaner. For whatever worth it is to you, this is what I went through last year. It took about 30 days to get my refund and return the car to their agent. I was not charged miles for that period. I would think if an exchange is given, that should occur within 14 days. Good Luck!

schorert likes this.
  6. JBradG

JBradG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reminder subjective about the lemon law. They have 15 days to fix the problem or I get all my money back minus the ~350 miles I put on the car.

7. JBradG

JBradG New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I forced the dealer to call Southest Toyota Distributors while I was there today. Looks like they'll get the part on Tuesday at the dealer. I'm just glad to know Toyota can get parts from Japan if needed. Maybe I won't lose all faith in Toyota now.

8. Hoosier1

Hoosier1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not a good start with a NEW car. With only 350 miles, I think Toyota should simply replace your Prius.

9. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What is this clip that broke, can you ask for the specifics? It is not good if a cheap part can lead to an expensive part's demise. May be we should all check ours.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask to see the part & take pictures.