1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius unusual acceleration when warming up

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by nexus, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When I feel it, during cold weather, I am ~300 ft. from my driveway, on a decent up hill, I have maybe a 1/4" of throttle applied and holding steady around 20-25 mph.
    Then suddenly I feel a surge in power and the car picks up the pace with my foot steady.

If I cared enough, I could research the parameters of that 'Exhaust Gas Heat Exchanger' actuator.
    But warm weather is here !!! And a boy's thoughts turn to other things !!!

2. Mark Knight

Mark Knight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my 2012 III does it too, like it was said i notice it when its cold out.

3. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've noticed it a couple times too, and it's always right when the car exits Stage 1; so it's just starting to use more than a minimal amount of ICE power. It may be that they reduce the response of the gas pedal during the first part of warmup to encourage you to accelerate more slowly while it's all coming from the battery.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I notice this occasionally with my 2010.
    It's after I first fire up the car and it's not yet warmed up and I'm still in my neighborhood, I'm guessing right about the speeds the ICE Would take over from EV maybe even a little faster.

Alan.. Sent with Tapatalk 2

5. nexus

nexus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you to all who responded. After taking it in for a service Toyota basically said what most people here have said, that it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. That's a relief!