1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V ABS Actuator -master cylinder Replaced (Issues)

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chrome_tech, Mar 18, 2020.

1. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone,

I have a 2012 Toyota Prius V that was giving me a C1391/69; Accumulator Leak Malfunction.
    After researching online I decided to buy an used ABS actuator-master cylinder P/N: 47270-47030 ( same as the one in my car) and replaced following Toyota repair manual.

As soon As I turned the car on with the replaced part the car was "Back to Normal" where the ABS pump only turns on at the beginning for few seconds and it will only turn on again if brake is applied. Before it was running every 3 to 5 sec.

When i got to the point of Air bleeding (using techstream software) I was getting an error and decided to perform the air bleeding without techstream. When I was done with the air bleeding I proceeded to the Linear valve offset calibration following the repair manual. No lights blinks (ABS - BRAKE) while performing the 120 sec calibration. Looks to me that that calibration wasn't happening. Test Mode didn't work neither.

Before I replaced this part I was able to clear the DTC current code C1391( which was the only code I had) via Techstream or jumper Wire on OBDII TC to CG terminals. Now I have all this codes:

ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU
    C1203 ECM/EV Communication Circuit
    C1259 HV/EV Control System Regenerative Malfunction
    C1310 HV/EV System Malfunction
    C1345 Linear Solenoid Valve Offset Learning undone
    C1392 Zero Point Calibration of Stroke Sensor undone
    C1451 Motor Drive Permission Malfunction

HYBRID CONTROL ECU
    U0129 Lost Communication with Brake System Control Module.

I can't perform any of the calibrations Learning procedures ( I get errors or unresponsiveness ).
    And the most weird is that I CAN'T CLEAR ANY OF THOSE CODES WITH TECHSTREAM OR WITH THE JUMPER WIRE PROCEDURES.
    I know techstream is communicating with the ABS Module because I can do Active test and Turn ON and OFF any Warning light, open and close brake Valves.
    I can also see All the Data List: Accumulator pressure sensor changing while I applied brakes.

I really don't know what to do next. I looked lots of videos and forums online and lot of people out there where able to finish this job successfully.

Is the U0129 the reason why I can't clear the current codes?
    Why I can't do the solenoid valve cal.?
    Help please!!!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will offer a few ideas but I am not an expert on this by any means. I had the issue and eventually decided to let an independent Prius mechanic source the parts (booster and brake actuator). It worked fine in the end.

First, the brake actuator (abs/master cylinder) module has a brake ecu and it must be the correct one to work. The Prius v unit is absolutely different than the normal Prius although many used sellers don't know this and may say they are compatible.

These are the part numbers as I know them:
    2012 Prius v
    47070-12020 Booster Pump $913, mcgeorge 696, ebay used 164
    47050-47110 Brake Actuator (Cylinder) Assy $1405, Mcgeorge 1072
    44785-02060 Gasket $5, mcgeorge $3.60

Second, my understanding is once air is in the brake actuator, the only way to get it out is with techstream. But it sounds like your comm is the main issue now.

However there are people who use "invalid mode" as an alternative to the techstream bleeding:

Invalid Mode:
    1. Press parking brake
    2. Power Button twice
    3. Press brake petal and go into Neutral
    4. Press brake x8 in 5 secs
    5. Press Park
    6. Press brake x8 in 5 secs and release
    7. Press brake petal and go into Neutral
    8. Press brake x8 in 5 secs
    9. Press Park and note Blinking brake light
    10. You are in invalid mode
    Bleed rear brakes by holding pedal down, pump runs.
    Bleed front brakes by pumping brakes
    Power down to exit invalid mode

Consider using charger on 12v battery while doing this. Do not allow pump to run more than 100 seconds at a time or it will drop out of invalid mode.

Attached Files:

#2 rjparker, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Tim Jones and scona like this.
  3. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for taking your time to help.

I will try that.

Let's say hypothetically I have done it.
    How is that going to address all my other Issues?.
    In what order?
    Which of my problems should I resolve first.?
    How can I CLEAR ALL CURRENT DCT CODES? I even tried the jumper on the OBDII ( it worked perfectly fine before)
    I read online that you have to clear all current DTC's before you attempt to do Air bleeding.

I attached few pictures where you can see the Part Number:47270-47030 I replaced ( same by same) which is not listed on your reply.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    This is the part I Replaced: 47270-47030 Look at the attached Picture.

Attached Files:

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The problem is that 47270-47030 is not the part number on a Prius v. The housing has that number but for a Prius v it is programmed different. Therefore the original car vin is needed to ensure the purchased part came from a Prius v. Sometimes in the ads it will say the part came from a vin with a DU as the seventh and eighth digit or it will say it had EU.

EU is Prius v. For example my vin is JTDZN3EU8C30xxxxx. For a 2012 Prius v the actual part number, if ordered new, would be 47050-47110, guaranteed. It might still have your number on the housing. That’s why I suggested most used sellers do not know what they are selling with these modules especially on a v with unique functions like pitch and bounce control.

Concerning clearing codes, sometimes codes can come back as fast as they were cleared.

Attached Files:

#5 rjparker, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Tim Jones likes this.
  6. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I bought this one on Ebay.
    According with the seller the VIN # of the car it came from is: JTDKN3DUXC1567047.
    Is this right for my car?
    My car VIN Is: JTDZN3EUXC3141635.
    Thank you.

7. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Can I try the one on the ebay link you sent me even if it's a 2013?

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes you need the one from an EU car. They are harder to find in low mileage Prius v salvage. Yes the one in my pic would work. You could check with the dealer and ask if its possible to reprogram a DU version into your version. Odds are the answer will be no. While you are talking to a helpful service advisor, ask her to check your vin for a free replacement. Up to now only the standard Prius hatchbacks can get a free fix, currently 2011-2015, even out of warranty. But there have been complaints to the NTSB recently on the exclusion of the v.

Tim Jones likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's odd that there's a U code, and I'd feel more confident if there were not. But C1451 is the certifiably evil code that can't be cleared even by power interruption, or by anything else that I know of other than acquiescing and doing what it wants you to do.

10. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I ordered the one on eBay, I should have it by this Friday.
    I'll let you Know this weekend how everything went.
    Thank you.

11. chrome_tech

chrome_tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    As soon as I install the new Actuator I'm going to proceed following the repair manual hoping I could get this done right with no DTC codes at the End.
    Thank you.

Tim Jones likes this.
  12. Anis Ali

Anis Ali New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello
    Have you successfully finished the work on prius v

13. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just posted in the "Technical Discussion" area about a Toyota Customer Support program for brake problems. Check it out. I don't want 2 separate threads running on this.

14. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    i just ordered the 47270 47030 brake master with ecu for my "EU" 2012 prius V, donor was an "EU" 2012 prius V as well. crossing my fingers. FYI 47070 12010 is the abs pump for the 2012 prius V.

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Might want to check fhe dealer for a free one installed. Just got my letter today. It has to throw codes so don't clear them. Good through Dec 2021 unlimited miles.

Those parts are good only for the hatchback, not the Prius v wagon (this section of the forum). Many resellers get it wrong.

2012 Prius v wagon Brake Booster Parts:
    47070-12020 pump
    47050-47110 Cylinder Assy
    44785-02060 Gasket, Brake Booster

#15 rjparker, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  16. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    thanks for the heads up
    i checked Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada and no recalls came up other than a:
    Recalls & Campaigns Lookup - Toyota Canada

SAFETY RECALL (SRC)
    Title Description Reference ID
    SRC R66 – Certain 2010-2014MY Prius and 2012-2014MY Prius v - Hybrid System Software Update
    Customer Remedy Notification

Please contact your Toyota dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment to have the campaign remedy performed.

The involved vehicles were designed to enter a failsafe driving mode in response to certain hybrid system faults. Toyota has found that in rare situations, the vehicle may not enter a failsafe driving mode as intended. If this occurs, the vehicle could lose power and stall. While power steering and braking would remain operational, a vehicle stall while driving at higher speeds could increase the risk of a crash.

The recall remedy, when available, will address a new condition in the vehicles involved in previous Safety Recalls 230 & R08. The previous recalls 230 & R08 did not anticipate the new condition remedied with this recall.

For further information, please see the attached document below.
    Additional Information
    R66

recall which is a software update, would i still qualify for a new brake master cylinder and ecu? i just bought the car so i have not yet registered the car in my name. do you have a link to the relevant 2012 prius v replacement recall?

17. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its not a recall. Recalls apply to everyone, This is a "customer support" program that only applies on a failure. Buy if you want, I would check with Toyota. And yes, you would not get the notice if Toyota was not notified of the change of ownership. However the coverage applies to the car regardless of who now owns it.

The primary coverage is unlimited miles until Dec 31, 2021. The secondary coverage is 10 years or 150,000 miles.
    E311D201-C191-4E28-A434-68A538DD5C72.jpeg

Details:
    31201703-A50C-4953-B25E-9441DF71AF21.jpeg

#18 rjparker, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  19. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    thank you for the info, does the car need to have all these lights or any of these lights? and is there a customer support campaign number?

20. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You have to have one of the codes listed in the pic above. Not all scanners read these codes. And you check with the dealer.