1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v All lights on but will not power on

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tdw88b, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Tdw88b

Tdw88b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2012 Prius v started acting up about a week ago. When I went to turn on the car and release the parking brake, the P LOCK MALFUNCTION WHEN PARKING, PARK ON FLAT PLACE AND APPLY PARKING BRAKE SECURELY warning message would come on and then after turning the car off for about 5 minutes it would work. This week it happened two more times and now the car will not start (meaning the power button is orange and it will not go into gear). All of the dashboard lights are on and appear at once. The large battery hums like normal. The headlights, brake lights, and gps console work as normal.

I checked the charge on the battery by putting the computer into maintenance mode. The auxiliary battery was at 12.2 when I checked it in accessory mode and 11.8 when the ignition was on. I also checked the battery’s charge using a multimeter at the battery itself and got the same result. I checked all of the fuses and they appeared fine. I checked the wiring from the auxiliary battery to the front of the car and could not find anything that appeared wrong. I used a portable car charger on the auxiliary battery and got the charge up to 13 v; it still wouldn’t start.

Even though the battery had the correct charge, I still replaced it based on other problems people have posted. It still won’t power on and the lights still appear. With the new battery, the maintenance screen shows 12.4 when in accessory mode and 12.2 when the ignition is on. I also checked the battery and the endplate in the fuse box with the multimeter again with the new battery and found a 12.6 v reading at both locations. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? I have not towed it to the dealership yet.
    [​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    probably need trouble codes. try putting a charge on the new battery, although, if it was 12.6 after it was off for a few hours, that's not bad.

3. cbydesign

cbydesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Omg, this just happened to me. Same year. About 20k miles. Works when I use the remote start, until I get in the car and have to restart it. I haven't checked battery, but you should be getting 13+ V while the car is on.

XT1575 ?

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Tdw You are going to need a new 12 volt battery, yours is discharged and so far as you describe is not taking a charge. The replacement part at your dealer has a 84 month prorated warranty.

amazon.com/ACDelco-ACDB24R-Advantage-Automotive-Battery/dp/B010GKJ8F6/ is $150

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But tdw says he replaced the battery as I read his post. Not that a new battery can't be bad but the odds are against it. Or something else is killing batteries.

JimboPalmer likes this.
  6. cbydesign

cbydesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You are right, I missed that. Time to go back and complain.

8. Tdw88b

Tdw88b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks all! I'll try putting the portable charger on the new battery this afternoon and see if it can get up to 13 v to start.

9. Tdw88b

Tdw88b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I tried charging the new 12 v battery for 4 hours. Without turning on the engine, it gave a reading by multimeter of 12.9 and the maintenance screen showed 12.7 in accessory mode. It was 12.4 v with the ignition on which I know is still below the full 13.6 level it should be at. The problem persisted; all lights are on the dash, the hybrid battery is working but the car still won't start. Any other suggestions before I get it towed?

10. Tdw88b

Tdw88b New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The dealer said it is the transmission computer and quoted over $1100 to replace it. I read somewhere else of someone getting the same result from their mechanic and then needing the inverter replaced as well. Is there any chance of this being caused by the inverter recall (15V449000)? From the way I read the recall notice, it sounds like the ECU burns up if the inverter overheats. I'm trying to get the codes and will post them when I have them.

11. Rayman812

Rayman812 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five