1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V codes

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blend123, Apr 19, 2021.

1. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I bought a 2012 Prius V (203,000 miles) to fix it up and keep but now I am regretting it. It has several codes:
    P0607 control module performance
    P0171 Bank 1 System too lean
    P0037 heated Oxygen Sensor heater control 1
    P261C coolant pump circuit low
    P0A80 and replace hybrid battery pack

Does anyone have experience with possible fixes for these codes?
    The car starts and runs but turns off after running for about 1 mile. I don't think it overheats because that particular light doesn't show up. I am thinking it turns off because of the hybrid battery. The car runs after letting it sit for several minutes and will run for about half a mile.
    Lastly, there is a loud engine knocking noise- I think the head gasket needs to be replaced. But, I don't get any codes for cylinder misfires. Thanks for reading and would appreciate any information that can be shared.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am getting a strong feeling of wiring issues in this car.

P0607 and P0037 both pertain to the ECM's ability to control heated O₂ sensor currents. Detecting whether the mixture is lean may depend on the O₂ sensor readings (though there's an A/F sensor further upstream that's probably more important for that). P261C is an issue with the water pump, but specifically an electrical issue; the tachometer signal coming back from the pump is hitting lower voltage than it should, as if it is shorting to something.

The P0A80 is battery related and I'm thinking to back-burner that for now; there seems to be all this weirdness up under the hood. Do you see any signs of rodents gnawing wires? Has somebody swiped the catalytic converter, or tried to, and left O₂ sensor wires dangling? Have you checked the electrical connections at the water pump?

By the way, per the repair manual, whenever the ECM reports a P261C (meaning it can't tell how fast the water pump runs), it has a "Fail-safe Operation" where it tells the water pump to run 0 rpm.

I have no idea whose idea it was for that to be the fail-safe operation. The other thing the ECM will do when it is reporting a water pump code is it will shut the engine right off when the temperature hits 105 ℃. That's a lower temperature than it takes to light the red-thermometer light on the dash, so all you know is the engine shut down.

It would be great to have access to Techstream, and look at the freeze frames for the codes that have been reported.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would start with a 12v battery check followed by a voltage check on the hv battery. Some of your codes could be false caused by low 12v. If it is losing coolant along with the knocking, you may be right about the head gasket. For the battery checks, a bluetooth obd2 reader and the Dr Prius app would be a good $30 beginning.

4. blend123

blend123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I replaced the catalytic converter because it was stolen. And yes, the bottom oxygen sensor was left dangling. I have yet to replace the bottom oxygen sensor.
    I haven't checked the electrical connections at the water pump but I replaced it with a new one. I was reading in a different post that it might be the fuse.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Easy to check the fuse, but the code you've got is pretty specific.