1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V Errors after car wash

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by John Traynor, Jul 30, 2024 at 3:16 PM.

1. John Traynor

John Traynor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    While I am no stranger to unfortunate coincidence, I am hoping this is one. I went through. A car wash with car in neutral and engine running.
    the car gave me a “your car is rolling in neutral idiot, put it in park.” Then the car went into power off/ accessory made with a power steering error light on the dashboard.
    I coasted out, restated the car and pulled into a parking space. I turned off the car, waited a minute and restarted.
    The power steering light was gone but now I had both ABS lights, the check engine, and the hybrid error. I used my Veepeak OBD2 and Car Scanner.

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
    DTC report
    Selected brand: Toyota
    VIN: ************

============1==============
    P0A80
    Raw code: 0A80
    ECU: 7EA
    Hybrid battery pack Deterioration

============2==============
    P3000
    Raw code: 3000
    ECU: 7EA
    High Voltage Battery Fault; HV Battery Malfunction

============3==============
    C1259
    Raw code: 5259
    ECU: ABS control unit #2

============4==============
    C1310
    Raw code: 5310
    ECU: ABS control unit #2

============5==============
    P0A80
    Raw code: 0A80
    ECU: Hybrid engine system
    Hybrid battery pack Deterioration

============6==============
    P3000
    Raw code: 3000
    ECU: Hybrid engine system
    High Voltage Battery Fault; HV Battery Malfunction

I drove it a few miles, parked and I am still getting the hybrid and check engine lights. I haven’t tried resetting them yet.

Did I get water in the computer or sensors?

EDIT 1: ABS error lights went off, error codes went away.

EDIT 2: I manually reset the hybrid errors and drove 20 miles. They have not returned yet. I’m thinking I have a loose harness that got sprayed.

#1 John Traynor, Jul 30, 2024 at 3:16 PM
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2024 at 5:37 PM
  2. John Traynor

John Traynor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Deleted

#2 John Traynor, Jul 30, 2024 at 3:26 PM
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2024 at 5:38 PM
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The codes that weren't P0A80 were all because of the P0A80.

The P0A80 indicates that the traction battery didn't hold its balance well while it deep-discharged in neutral in the car wash. Those are conditions very much like the actual "confirmation driving pattern" that's in the repair manual for the P0A80 code: to confirm that the battery is healthy, one part of the pattern is where you shift to neutral and let the ECU see how well it stays balanced in a deep discharge.

Yours did not pass with flying colors, but since then it has passed a few of the car's self-tests, enough for the current code and light to go away. We could infer that your battery may be a bit long in the tooth, but for now it's saying it's not dead and doesn't want to go on the cart.

The P3000 was a more-generic hybrid-system-problem code set by the same ECU, because of the P0A80, and the C1259 and C1310 were codes that are set in the brake ECU when it is notified of a hybrid-system problem.