1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Five rear view mirror?!

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by j.stuk, Mar 29, 2016.

1. j.stuk

j.stuk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a proud new owner of a 2012 Prius v Five and I'm really enjoying the car so far! One issue that the previous owner had with the car was the height/position of the interior rear view mirror. He was about 6'3" and the low position of the mirror was a bigger issue for him than me at about 5'9" but it is still noticeable.

Basically, because of the angle of the windshield, the mirror's position can block the driver's view to the front right while looking ahead out of the windshield. This seems to be a common issue amongst Prius owners and has been discussed in other threads.

Some posters were delighted to discover that their rear view mirrors were double jointed and they were able to position their mirrors higher thus resolving the issue. I have tried repeatedly but I just don't think that my mirror is constructed in the same way. It appears to only have a single ball joint. Again, it's a 2012 Prius v Five and the mirror is the auto dimming mirror.

I've scoured PRIUSchat & the web and haven't found a solution so I would like to know: Has anyone successfully adjusted this mirror to a higher position? Is this possible with this model? Suggestions? I have tried adjusting the seat to a lower position and that does give me a greater field of view but I really prefer the upright position of having the seat raised. I'm attaching a few photos so you can see what I'm working with.

The slightly obstructed view:
    IMG_5266.JPG
    The mirror:
    IMG_5278.JPG IMG_5272.JPG IMG_5276.JPG IMG_5274.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably not possible with the existing autodimming mirror. I might try to find another Gentex mirror with the dual joints or better yet call Gentex (link below). I am 6'3" also but use the lower position of the seat.

Automotive Products | Gentex

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It is double-jointed, but in this image you have it adjusted up as high as it can go.

[​IMG]

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rotate the mirror upside down. It will sit up higher, but the buttons at the bottom will be on top, etc. But it will sit higher. ;)

I have my mirror rotated upside down for this very reason, I didn't like how it blocked my view.