1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Information and Specs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 10, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're not crazy. I heard that too. :)

BTW, does anybody know how much higher off the ground is the v compared to the Gen 3?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    5.5 vs 5.7 so the difference is 0.2 inches.

1 person likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Reveals Prius Family of Vehicles at the North American International Auto Show / Toyota

PHP:
    2012 PRIUS v PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS 

Powertrain 1.8
    -liter four-cylinder engine with VVT-
    Engine horsepower
    :  98 hp 5,200 rpm 
    Engine torque
    :  105 lb-ft 4,000 rpm 
    Electric motor
    :  Permanent magnet synchronous motor 
    Electric motor power output
    :  80 hp/153 lb-ft torque 
    Hybrid system net horsepower
    :  134 hp 
    Emission rating
    :  SULEV/Tier 2 Bin 3 

Electronically controlled continuously variable transmission 
    Drive System
    :  Front-wheel-drive 
    Hybrid battery pack
    :  Nickel-metal hydride 
    Estimated fuel economy
    :  42 mpg city/38 mpg hwy40 mpg comb

4. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No 3rd row is an absolute fail in my book, why bother with an entire new body/hardware to have a new class of car that barely distinguishes itself from the standard prius?? Its still a hatchback and just has marginally more cargo room (for the couple times a year most folks might actually use it) with a huge MPG penalty (and apparently lower performance, still with Ni-MH battery) for ever day of the year you drive it. Sorry, but I guess I won't be looking at Toyota for my next vehicle as the Sienna is ginormous, but I still need seating for more than 5 a few times a month at least when carpooling kids around or what not.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have the model number, like ZVW30 of current Gen3?
    (Prius Plug-in is ZVW35.)
    If anyone has an opportunity to visit the Detroit Show, I would like to ask to take a picture of the label.

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ???? Yes, and I still see no mention of a "suspension feature" within that presented data?.....

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you looking for specific one from Detroit Auto Show? I think I took a pic from the prototype of Paradox.

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I figure the 3rd row is the entire reason that anyone would buy this as opposed to a standard Prius - since it doesn't have that, maybe it'll jsut be cheaper? There has to be something different other than having a notch on the hatch, because that alone doesn't make it any more versatile (which is what the 'v' is supposed to stand for)?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pitch and bounce control. I was thinking how is this different from their anti-squat and anti-dive subframe found on the Avalon and Lexus models until he described it, saying it uses the electric motor to increase/decrease power to control the pitching of the vehicle. Looks like they're innovating and trying new things with the Prius v instead of falling back to their standard anti squat/dive subframe.

That'll be interesting although if they're trying to maximise cargo room, the torsion beam is the way to go. (It's also cheaper)

They said it's 300 lbs heavier than the Prius.

1 person likes this.
  10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    no 3rd row is a let down but not unreasonable to expect.

perhaps there's a Prius m (for minivan) on the horizon?

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Study the market. Prius drew a number of consumers by being incredibly practical in addition to delivering outstanding emissions & efficiency. SUV owners looking for an alternative wouldn't be caught dead in a minivan. Squishing back into a sedan with a tiny storage area in comparison is a turnoff. Prius is actually a bit too small for some anyway. Why not offer a wagon version, especially since that's a rapidly growing new market?

So what if it doesn't deliver 50 MPG? That expected 40 MPG is a huge improvement for those wanting to replace their guzzling SUV.

Of course, some of us saw the 1.8 liter engine as an opportunity to power a larger vehicle, since it really is more than what's needed for the 2010 Prius. Toyota planned ahead. Reuse like that is good for business. Consumers need choice. And heck, think about how the larger cargo area offers room for more battery.

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any model numbers of the types are interested.
    I heard the road testing prototype had 3 row seats.

Ken@Japan

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, you were asking for Prius v label right? In my previous post, thought you were asking for PHV Prius label.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There's several things to consider on why FE would be lower:

• Higher Cd (0.29) due to boxier shape - that said, many design cues can be observed that keep it as low as it is. The higher Cd contributes to lower Hwy MPG.
    • Larger wheel/tires = higher rolling resistance - probably required to handle the gross weight increase. This becomes a bigger factor at highway speeds.
    • Heavier by 300lbs = lower City MPG.
    • Unchanged battery/inverter package means less electric assist for the weight. Had this been increased somewhat, there may have been an improvement in city MPG provided the extra weight of the hybrid components didn't counteract the efficiency gain.

Opt for the resin roof to save some weight, but I suspect that roof may come with heavier and less efficient 17" wheels, making the net gain null IMHO.

15. Duffer

Duffer Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    3rd row seating is a slippery slope that Toyota was wise to avoid, for this size vehicle. Weight would certainly have to go up to accommodate 7 passengers of who knows how much mass, and room for all of those peeps would be a compromise.
    I do see the V as competition for the Mazda 5. I have driven the Mazda 5 and I like the concept, but the seating position for my 6'2 240lb frame is odd, I feel like I am being pushed to the outside of the vehicle, without enough room.
    The Prius V will be great for those people who are used to more roomy vehicles.
    More FE is wanted, always!

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Higher ground clearance means higher Cd (less aerodynamic) as well.

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Underwhelming. The size is ok and if this is the same price as a current Prius I'd consider it, but even then its mileage is quite appreciably worse, not to mention it will feel sluggish. 10 seconds 0-60 is ok, but 11.5 is really starting to feel a lot like 1992 to me.

That is assuming its price is the same. I imagine it will be higher, though.

I do not know this car just doesn't excite me at all. Perhaps it should have had the camry hybrid power train, which would have made it fast and yes hurt its mileage but then at least it would have been larger than a Prius and much more powerful. The only real drawback of the camry hybrid is its trunk is only big enough to hold half of a golf ball.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Makes you wonder how automakers can be proud of 30 MPG highway.

It's hard to believe that standards could have been lowered that much.

Of course, these are the same who pushed the mentality of needing faster 0-60... even though dropping the pedal to the floor almost never happens.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... as a slight tangent, the other day I was looking up the specs of a Tahoe and had to laugh at the page title at 2011 Chevy Tahoe | Fuel-Efficient SUV | Chevrolet.com (emphasis mine). It's like putting lipstick on a pig.

They brag about 21 highway mpg. The city rating is 15 mpg. I guess it's "efficient" for a 5600 to ~6000 lb. battering ram of death.

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Doug said somewhere that the lower mpg is about 2/3rd b/c of weight and 1/3rd b/c of aerodynamics (then goes on to say it goes to show how specialized the Prius is).