1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Information and Specs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    that would be awesome

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am actually very interested in the v. We received my son's adaptive stroller, he has CP, yesterday and put in the trunk of our gen II it takes up the whole trunk. Considering we'll have him in that stroller for the next 7 years or so trunk space would be nice to have. What I'm very curious about is if the SKS system which is very nice to have, unlocks all doors plus hatch, or if it'll be like the gen III. Doug care to impart us with some SKS knowledge?? :rolleyes:

4. richard13

richard13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Please tell me this is just an alternative version of the current Prius and that the latter will still be available in the future. :eek:

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you just crawl out from under a rock? There are numerous threads on the Prius Family which detail the various versions of Prius that will be available. :)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    figured there would be a lot of complaints when the 5 passenger thing was announced. ever take an extended car trip in a regular Prius?

its no picnic. i would have loved the extra storage. the not having to unpack the entire back for nearly everything just to get one item. we were lucky that we only had one small child. 2 or 3 kids??? no way.

the gas mileage is an issue, but put it in a PLEV. now the "day to day" performance is in the mid 60's. that is where its at

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like to learn more about the actual dimensions of the cargo area. it almost looks as if most of the extra cargo room is vertical instead of horizontal. :(

8. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That must play a bigger factor then I expected. With a pretty small change in the co-efficient of drag I would not expect 40mpg on the highway, I was expecting 45mpg (10% drop).

Still, for its usable interior space, nothing else really compares in highway mpg.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

there is more car through, it is not just cd, but how large car is as well.

i find it interesting that CT200h is supposed to get 42mpg in US cycle, which is 18% less than Prius, but in European cycle it almost gets the same mileage... in fact, it gets same mileage as 17" wheeled Prius.

I wonder what people will actually get with v.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We did a trip with two post-stroller kids last year, about 11 hours each way and in Feb will do 15 hours each way trips. It really is fine for this. They have sufficient leg room and the trunk takes two full size suit cases plus a small cooler jammed in there and a couple of backpacks. I had visitors--four adults--visit in a Camry Hybrid and I believe its trunk is a good bit smaller than the Prius and they managed a very long trip (couple thousand miles each way)! If you don't want to tag along too much stuff it works.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh for a day trip, no problem. have done plenty of those with no issues. our trip was 12 days in a car and covered 3500 miles including a 4 day odyssey up the Pacific Coast. it got to be cramped

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks to be. I noticed that the v is 2 inches wider, however.

13. PriusPatty

PriusPatty New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for this info -- I like the specs and design. I'd probably go with the 17-inch: 215/50R17 tires or get custom all season tires. Does anyone have an idea of what brand these would be?

Other than that, my favorite part of it is the highway mpg...love the interior space as well.

14. slortzII

slortzII New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a poll on the new prius v?
    I don't know how to set one up myself so maybe one of the moderators can help out with this in a new thread?

What I am interested in is knowing how many current prius owners are geniunely interested in buying the Prius v -- either selling their current Prius in order to upgrade to the Prius v or adding it alongside their Prius as a second car.
    Also, interested to know how many people think the added cargo space of the Prius v is more valuable than more passenger space.

I just don't think current Prius owners will be looking to buy the Prius v, even if they like it somewhat more than their current Prius, it is just not that much better.
    To me, the Prius v was not made to satisfy Prius owners. It was made to attract people that otherwise would not have considered a Prius because it didn't have enough cargo space and legroom. Wow, must be billions of those people out there. Sorry for the sarcasm but I am still so pissed that this was not a minivan.

I'm also interested in knowing what non-Prius owners are interested in the Prius v, vs a non-hybrid car, vs the regular Prius, vs a hybrid minivan, and vs a non-hybrid minivan. I just don't think there are many non-Prius owners on this website to have that poll though.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right, the Prius v isn't meant to impress current Prius owners. It's meant to draw in new owners from other vehicles.

To start a poll, start a new thread like you normally would. Scroll to the bottom (under Additional Options) and look for the box that says "post a poll". Check the box and give the number of options you intend to have. One you post the thread, it'll allow you to fill in the text for the poll options/answers.

16. agb

agb New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. I have the Mazda5. Was hoping for the same passenger cpacity except in a superior execution. Mazda5 has loud suspension and road noise that I settle for but do not want. No 3rd row means I can't transport my family plus 2 cousins. Oh well. Maybe the battery was in the way?

17. agb

agb New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I own the mazda5. The 3rd row is used for the cousins or friends of my 6/2 year olds. I've never thought to shove adults back there.

It would have been completely appropriate to have this option for the time you need the 3rd row.

If you had kids with a big social circle you would see what the fuss is all about.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the Mazda5 is a great vehicle. It's extremely inexpensive, too. But it suffers from being a van (sliding doors) and small, thus Americans just won't buy it, and it doesn't sell in high numbers.

19. ahdfox

ahdfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks OK to me: a bit more passenger room, a bit more cargo room, longer wheelbase for better highway crusing, and bigger/heavier makes it a safer family car, all else equal. Gen II / III Prius is fine for 2 people and commuting, but it's only an OK family road trip vehicle.

Too bad the Gen II and II Prius aren't just a bit longer and wider with the same design they have now: a couple of inches can make a big difference with that box that just won't fit or to make a car safer in crashes.

Anyhow, Toyota's got the Prius and now there's a Prius wagon, too, so no loss. Next, I'd bet there's a Prius-Previa reincarnation... so I expect all the people disappointed with the Prius-v will find their hybrid Nirvanna after all.

Unless they up the engine power, a Prius minivan will drag it's nice person. However, my family's old VW bus had only **82HP** for 3600lbs empty vehicle weight, and then we all piled in with all our stuff (add another 700lbs plus)... and it was great. Crossed the country a few times over it's 15 years of service and we all loved it. Other drivers used to offer to buy it from me when we were at a red light... maybe someday an old Prius will get that kind of love.

20. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Geez! What's with Middle America's obsession with the "3rd row?!"