1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v inverter replacement

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mi2k, Aug 27, 2015.

1. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Three days ago our gently driven Prius with 64K miles suffered an inverter failure. I was driving at 30mph when without any warning or sign of trouble the car shifted into neutral. Soon after that I noticed that the hybrid system, power steering, and VSC warnings came on. Luckily I was in a position to stop on the side. When I shut off and tried to restart, the car was stuck in neutral. In addition to the warnings I mentioned, check engine, oil lamp, and brake system warnings also came on. I got the car towed to a dealership that diagnosed the problem to be the hybrid inverter. It was a warranty repair, but I was told that without the warranty it would have cost me around $3500.

Ironically we had received a safety recall notice related to this problem just last week:

The suddenness and lack of prior warnings makes this a somewhat dangerous problem. If you have received this safety recall notice you should act on it.

2. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The NHTSA link that I provided in the first post was excised. Google 15V449000 and go to the first link.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Had our recall work done Wednesday, never having experienced an issue. I do wonder (not worry, but wonder) whether any heat-related damage was done that may manifest later, despite the recall work.

4. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    you should ask the dealer if this is a redesigned part or are they just replacing a defective part with a new one of the same design that will break again..you get one free replacement under most recalls

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The recall involves a software flash, no parts change, to my knowledge.

kithmo likes this.
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Had the software upgrade done yesterday. Without it, the inverter transistors (power FETs) may fail, which if they did before the upgrade, would be covered under a special warranty even if you are past the factory warranty on recalled Prius v models.

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The big Q remains: even if you have the recall flash done, will pre-existing damage manifest later?

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Semiconductors usually don't slowly degrade; they have to be all there to work or are they are gone and failed, so I feel ok.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    True, as long as it is the component and not the attachment to the board that was heat -damaged. I've seen a lot of brittle solder joints develop.

10. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We had not received recall information on our 12 Prius V but were informed by the dealer after it was in for a service. The software flash listed in NHTSA recall was completed on our car by dealer in November with 92,000+ miles. The inverter failed last Friday at 100,497 miles. Toyota listed our warranty for the inverter was over at 100,391 miles which accounts for the 391 miles vehicle had on it the day I purchased it. Toyota has declined coverage on the recalled inverter since the software flash had been completed prior to the failure. The local dealer fixed operation manager has made good faith offer to cover 1/3 of total cost, and in same conversation warned not to pursue contact with Toyota due to the potential of losing the good faith offer. This had been our second new Toyota from the same dealership since 2006 with over 300,000 miles combined.

Beware of the software flash for the inverter recall and know that in this case the inverter still failed shortly after the software update.

1996 Toyota T100 254,000 miles
    2006 Toyota Sienna 204,000 miles
    2012 Toyota Prius V III 100,507 miles

Air_Boss likes this.
  11. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Had mine done automatically when I took it in for scheduled oil change.

Semiconductors generally don't fail at all unless they've been abused in one of many ways: namely thermally, electrically, or mechanically. It is possible to (partially damage) a semiconductor, known as a latent defect, and the device continues to operate - with a shortened lifetime. The most common causes of a latent defect are first, electrical overvoltage due to ESD event or failure of some other part of the circuit then second, thermal. Since the software update is to prevent or minimize thermal damage, I would guess it is possible to place a latent thermal defect in a part prior to the software update, only to have it fail at a later date.

From what I've learned, only certain driving conditions would cause an electrical failure (latent defect). And I believe these conditions would occur when the inverter had to work very hard to drive the MGs - such as prolonged EV mode driving or very hard acceleration. So unless you were a very lead foot driver, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't usually think this is an efficient approach, but looks like a great case to take to small claims court, which will force Toyota to appear if they want it taken to arbitration, which they are unlikely to do given the earlier failure to notify, and the close coincidence between recall work and failure.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    • When did the recall letter go out to others?
    • Did the dealer have your correct address at the time?
    • Did you thereafter go in for any service where the dealer would have been expected to hook your car up to the computer which could have been expected to compare your car to the list of those updated with the recall and trigger the dealer to activate the recall while you were hooked up? Prior to the 98k service which incorporated the recall.
    • How many miles did you cover after that service?

14. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding from the Toyota research and NHTSA is the recall took effect on July 15, 2015.
    Our address had not changed since we purchased our first new Toyota in 2005.
    We average over 4000 miles a month and every 5000 mile service has been completed by the dealer since new.
    I was corrected by the fixed operations manager that the service in November was at 92,000+ when the software flash was completed but has been in since for its oil change at 95,000 miles.
    The rear windshield wiper motor failed at the end of January, diagnosed by Totota service, and was covered by warranty but awaiting parts to arrive when the inverter failed at 100,497.

My wife was traveling at 65 miles an hour on a four lane highway when she hit water and hydroplaned. The dash lit up like a christmas tree with left turn arrow, BRAKE, READY, traction control, right turn arrow, check engine, a circle with an exclamation point, and a light with a car split by an exclamation point on the far right side of the dash. The car completely and immediately lost power and she was able to coast to shoulder of highway. Car would not move or start for approx 3-5 minutes. Then ready light came on and vehicle was able to move but in a limp mode. Service dept at dealer was called and they suggested disconnecting 12v battery to clear codes which was done but without change. Dealer suggested bringing car in and it was limp mode driven the approx 10 miles to service dept. Technician was occupied at time and service representative suggested driving it to Autozone 2 blocks away and have codes read and maybe reset. I drove it out of service bay to Autozone where they pulled the code but were unable to clear it, printed code was produced by Autozone and vehicle was driven two blocks back to Toyota service bay with hard copy of code reading. They confirmed code the following Monday and notified us they were working with Toyota factory to determine what could be done due to the circumstances.

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So if you averaged maybe 4k per month and we allow a bit of time between the recall announcement and the date the computer should have known about it, you have 4k for August, September and October or about 2 service visits given your 5k services done statement before the recall was done.

Sounds like you have a gripe against the dealer. He knew it was liable to a recall by its model and year (or should have). It wasn't in any of his records that your car had the recall applied. You shouldn't have to present a recall notice, they should be eager to do a 5 minute recall via computer. The service adviser. And the oil change guy just does what he is told. My guess is they don't have multiple computers and the computer was in use and they didn't hook you up relying on you to ask for the recall.

One of the advantages of being on forums like priuschat is you see people posting about recalls and YOU can react to those with your dealer.

When you hydroplane, the drive wheels suddenly float on water and, with no resistance, the engine can race wildly. Like missing a shift on a manual.

16. Timberbull

Timberbull New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The fixed operations manager made a good faith offer to pay $704 of the $2200+ estimate but requires that we sign a form stating we release all future legal liability from the dealership and the manufacturer if we accept it. I've chosen to decline at this point, pay the full cost, and retain my rights to pursue reimbursement from Toyota.

17. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prius v inverter failure on Memorial Day, May 30, 2016. Had the software update back in August 2015. Car was running fine, stopped at a restaurant, came out, no ready, inverter done. It would go into neutral, various warning lights on such as Brake, Power Steering, ABS. Car was towed and had inverter changed the following day. As you can imagine, I am a not so happy camper.

#17 rjparker, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Given the history, I would go at them with pre-existing damage, prior to the software flash.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regardless, the inverter and it's components like IPM is covered under warranty. Should be fixed at no cost to owner.