1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v LATCH system

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by cbydesign, Nov 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cbydesign

cbydesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've seen a few threads on this, but they are old and I don't want to revive them, so I appologize if this has been covered many times. I need to read through the manuals yet, which will happen when I have some time (got the car 2 days ago) but from what I understand the latch anchors for rear facing are NOT OK to use. My guess on the reasoning is that the seats are able to be slid forward and back. If you have them on two different glides, and someone decides to adjust one, then it will change the tension in the belts. This sound correct to everyone? Has this been resolved already? From what I read on the forum, it did not state you couldn't use the middle seat, but only listed the outboard seats for the LATCH system. I kinda hate using the seatbelt because the seat ends up crooked and I don't like that. Not sure if it's safer or not, and I'm a little OCD about it.

2. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've used the latch system on my 2013 v for both forward and rear facing seats. I haven't tested the seats in any crash situations but the child seats seem to be secure using the latch system. When I first got the v, I was confused by the fact that the latch attachments were hidden under a zipper compartment. That is different than every other vehicle I've had.

I've only used the outboard positions for the child seats. If I were to use the middle position, I'd just slide both seats to the rear position and leave it there. All of the kids I had in the back had no interest in moving the seats forward.

3. cbydesign

cbydesign Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah. I'm thinking that will be how I go. I just don't like how tilted it gets when I put it in with the seatbelt. Iust do it wrong or something.

XT1575 ?

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I use the LATCH for my 3 yr old . For the rear-facing newborn car seat I used the belt, mainly because the fire safety person said that's the preferred method. For the rear-facing toddle seat I use LATCH, and it does not move back or forward at all.

If you go to a local fire station, they have people certified to inspect those for free. I learned a lot on how the seat is supposed to be positioned and how it can and can't move. The diagonal movement is normal, and you can't stop that especially with smaller seats, though I found it helps to tilt the rear seats back a bit to prevent it from always sitting at an angle. It's the lateral movements you don't want. You shouldn't be able to slide it around the seat.

#4 Soylent, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016