1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v - license plate lights - scorch marks

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Boston Jim, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Today, I swapped the original license plate lights on my 2012 Prius v to some VLEDs for a brighter whiter light. And I was very surprised to find scorch marks on the bottom edge of both bulb housings. The bulbs themselves look fine, and no other marks besides on the bulb housing.

I used to just turn on my lights all the time since the v doesn't have daytime running lights. I'm thinking that might be the cause. Though I was under the impression that having the lights on any time would only potentially shorten the life of the bulbs, not this.
    IMG_4751.gif IMG_4756.gif

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Look like the LED bulb is getting too hot. Use the originals, besides too bright in the back might be illegal in some states.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its not really a problem unless there's signs of melting or the metal parts are scored/scorched. I don't see anything but discoloration, which may be expected. Those things are designed to be hot and the material stands up to it. rjparker is right though, the LEDs could get even hotter.

4. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is from the original bulbs, I just changed to LEDs today. The lights arn't blindingly bright especially on a black car.

The heat from the LEDs is one of my concers after seeing this from the original bulbs. Though there is a nice heatsink on the top/back portion of the LED, and more importantly, my wife is now driving the car and generally doesn't use the lights during the day.

No signs of the metal scorched or actual melted plastic.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    An impetus to get DRLs? Especially on a dark car in the dawn and dusk hours they are nice to have.

I like DRL's because they don't require the rear lights to be on and someone behind to figure out if the lights he sees are running lights or did I just put on my brakes. A split second delay in figuring that out could cost us both. I want max contrast.