1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v ( lowercase v ) after 3 years

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by johnofrpv, Nov 12, 2014.

1. johnofrpv

johnofrpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Mileage from day 1 = 39.4 (not bad considering driving in hills)
    Great room---hauled a 50 gallon water heater 100 miles
    Hard ride--Toyo tires at fault? 27500 miles and looks like 10,000 more 'safe' miles. May switch to Pirelli as recommended by Tire Rac
    Drive a lot in sun and sun visors need to be larger and to extend on their rod/pole. This is a pain and even a safety hazard.
    Rear hatch is too hard for a woman or weaker person----need to offer a power hatch.
    Cruise control causes annoyance in heavy traffic due to proximity sensor. Also causes motor to vary speed too much to maintain set speed. Rarely use it.
    Would like to have blind spot system or at least split side view mirrors (Ford) to increase view to rear.
    Have never used 'Parallel Park Assist' Would rather have front and rear proximity sensors.

Overall this is a great vehicle. Hope Toyota engineers or marketing reads these comments.

-1- likes this.
  2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Always good to hear positive comments and constructive, but valid criticism.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Your MPG is a bit low, tires are part of it. Apparently you have the Five with 17" wheels - so tire selection is limited. Hills can actually help MPG with the right driving style. I wouldn't recommend anything other than the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, finding them ain't easy in 17" but they exist.

I agree on the power hatch. The RAV4 offers a terrific one.

You're apparently using the speed control in radar mode. You don't have to use that, regular CC is available too and may be a better choice in traffic. Its best to just cancel the speed control when you are approaching traffic, since the radar system over-corrects by design. In heavier traffic, set the following distance to the minimum and its a lot smoother, but it will still over-correct.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I was going to guess 17" also, they translate to harsher ride. My 16" Bridgestones have 85k and still going. Ride decent also. Agree on the sun visors. My "standard" cc is fine except when going up a decent hill, only because it wants to rev the engine too much. I can do better manually.

5. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Would like to have blind spot system or at least split side view mirrors (Ford) to increase view to rear.

Check these adjustable mirror add ons..

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have had what they call an aspheric mirror on two of my cars allowing the blind spot to be easily covered. It was a replacement for the mirror and the part the mirror mounted on. I also used one of the paste on split ones that was specifically cut to fit perfectly and you wouldn't even know if you didn't look for it.

Having said that, many cars have their side mirrors adjusted incorrectly. You shouldn't see your car in the driver's side side mirror ... just the lane next to you. Adjust your existing mirror in a parking lot of a superstore where you can park with a car in your blind spot.

7. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had issues with blind spot visibility in our v. You should have basically no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted correctly. Make sure you can't see your rear door handles when your side view mirrors are adjusted. They are meant to show the lane beside you, not the lane behind you.

We have BSM on the Rav and it is a neat feature but I can always see the car in my mirror when the BSM indicator is lit.

Tandy 400

8. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ride, schmide,
    I changed out my Two's 16" wheels for ENKIE 17" wheels and Yokohama YK 580 tires for better HANDLING.
    (Then of course, I have added several braces, lowered it one inch and am about to add front and rear sway bars.)

Mileage? I get 38.6 on long trips but too, I have installed an INJEN cold air intake for more power.
    As you may have guessed by this time, I use the PWR button liberally. :D