1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v (lowercase v) navigation used to show highway traffic....

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Sharon G, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Sharon G

Sharon G New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    but now no more. It seems to have stopped a few weeks ago. I've always had my maps on the navigation show green, yellow and red for highway conditions. That stopped. When I called the "help line" wow - someone who should not be in customer support answered the phone:

Her: you don't have that system
    Me: I've had that since I got my car three years ago.
    Her: It's because you don't have Sirius anymore.
    Me: I've never had Sirius except for the 3 months trial over 2.5 years ago.
    Her: Well then you had a glitch.
    Me: A THREE YEAR GLITCH.?
    Her : Yes, why don't you install entune?
    Me: I've already installed Entune but Entune doesn't seem to have a mapping app for my version of Prius,
    Her: Oh yeah - you will have to get Sirius.
    Me: So what you are telling me is that I paid for a navigation sun roof package 3 years ago, the navigation worked great for 3 years but because of a glitch it's now pretty useless and unless I start paying for another sysetm I'm pretty much left hang to dry.
    Her: Yes

Auuuughhhh. Anyone else have a 3 year glitch? Is there someone at Toyota that will actually work on my problem?

Thanks

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While she didn't explain it eloquently, it's true, you need a subscription to XMNavTraffic for your traffic information to work on the 7" HDD navigation units.

On the 6.1", you get it through Entune and via your phone.

So you have to determine which unit you have.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way, somehow, you will have to pay to get future traffic data. One requires a satellite subscription, the other requires a cellular data plan. (While many people can simply use an existing phone plan, not everyone has this.)

You would not be the first reader here who received an extended freebie when their free trial satellite plan was not cut off on schedule.

4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The 3 month XM trial in our 2012 Prius v Five/ATP lasted about two years. I was starting to think that it would never go away. I remember reading that there was a "bug" that didn't allow the trial to be ended on the early 7" system until an over-the-air update was accepted and installed by the vehicle owner. Did you happen to accept a over-the-air software update recently? (e.g. the update that added Slacker Radio to Entune)

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. I wasn't that lucky.
    After three years, Toyota wants you to buy another one of their cars.
    This is a vendor problem, so Toyota will tell you it's not their problem.
    That's both accurate and inaccurate from a customer's standpoint but it's not unique to Toyota.

Me?
    I buy base model cars only. That way you don't get yesterday's technology at tomorrow's prices.

I wouldn't pay for a Nav/Traffic subscription, but I also do not live in Houston.
    I would ditch the Nav company based on their customer no-service, and explore a cellular solution since you're in an area with exceptional coverage and you're already more than likely paying for a cellular data plan.

Good Luck!

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Live traffic data doesn't even require Entune. On the WinPhone 8.1, just pair via bluetooth and enable internet sharing.

7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    WinPhone? Surely (Shirley?), you are kidding. Does it come with a free buggy whip? How do you feel about Blackberry?

I was once a huge fan (not in weight, LOL) of Nokia and all things Windows CE/Mobile. Who would have thought that Nokia would collapse and that the only way that Microsoft could get people to use their software would be to give it away for free.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For Shirley! The Nokia Lumia 1520 is a business-class productivity tool in phablet format. Nice camera, too.