1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v (lowercase v) THREE Tire recommendations

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by darkleafar, Dec 10, 2015.

1. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Im at 85000 miles and its time to get new tires. I have the Michelin Primacy X mxv4 that came with the car, and i want something of the same quality or better. Anybody have any specific recommendations, like current deals or specfic brands? I was planning on checking NTB, discount tire and Costco. What do you guys think?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I changed out my factory 205-60R16 Bridgestones at 105k, not because of tread wear limits but because they were starting to develop fine cracks ("dry rot") and the tread was getting close to the limit. So I went for Michelin Premier A/S because of their improved ride and traction, both of which were realized. Some say Premiers will reduce mpg, but I did not see it. I do run factory pressures and get factory mpg. I bought at Costco, primarily for a few dollars savings over Discount and Sam's all in, plus I waited until the $70 discount period which happens every few months at all the stores. Costco applies the discount immediately, no mailing in a rebate. Costco also included nitrogen at no extra cost which was an additional saving over Discount and Sam's if I would have bought nitrogen from them.

#2 rjparker, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin Energy Saver AS will get you a bump in MPG, but not the long tread life. Perfect for Houston though and they do very well in the rain.

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Energy Savers were not available at all three outlets when I shopped. Also note that some stores are not selling the factory V speed rating in Premiers while Costco does.

5. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    thank you for all the suggestions guys, but I am bit confused, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to tires. What does the V or H rating thing mean? I noticed some websites have primacy x mxv4 205/60r16 92H and some 92V ..what does that mean?

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    92V vs 92H. The 92 is load rating so both are the same for maximum load on the tire. V rating is a higher speed rating for the tires than is a H. While you are not likely to test the speed limits, Toyota uses the best V rated tires because they are less likely to fail and therefore safer. Sam's sells an equivalent tire as Costco but Sam's tire is the lower H rated while Costco is V rated.
    From Tirerack.com:
    tirerack speed ratings.jpg

#6 rjparker, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015