1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Navigation updates

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Flyman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What version did you get before and after the update? I just got a Prius v and data is from 2010Q4. Sounds very outdated.

2. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree, I'd like to know this information as well. There doesn't seem to be much information out there as to how to know what the most current version of the NAV software is. When I called my dealer back in August, they said they came out usually every September, what few sources I can see on the internet say it comes out in October. I have a trip coming up Halloween week and would like to update my software before then, and do it ASAP, but I don't want the 2011 version if 2012 is coming out in just a couple of weeks.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As I know the old stock is pulled in Sept. for the new version that comes out in Oct, (from parts source at Carson Toyota). Toyota/Denso takes data from a few sources so one data set might actually be from 2010, but another may be more up to date. I have been purchasing map updates for our '04 Sienna since '04 and if you look at the back of the disc case you can see copyrights from the respective places they got data from. If past experience proves right, the data for the up coming 2012 disc will be Copyright 2011, so now that I think about it 2010 seems about right for vehicles produced this year. (It would have come out Oct. 2011 with data from 2010.) Hopefully things will come to light as Oct. approaches!

4. GerryL

GerryL Master Model Railroader

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Except that there won't be a disc for the "v." The update is done via jump drive.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That will make things very interesting. (I actually tried putting my current Sienna disc in to see what would happen and absolutely nothing happened. Hey, I bought it legally anyways, I thought...)

6. Halirob

Halirob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone done a maps update on thier prius v through the dealer? If so how much did they charge. There is conflicting information all over the place. I'm looking to hear from someone with a prius v, and the display audio system.

Thanks,
    Rob

7. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if my understanding from reading around
    Navteq release automotive maps only twice a yr, in the 2nd quarter (June) and 4th quarter (Dec).
    Navteq however releases maps 4 times a year to those PND devices. Maybe some law thats why so not so feq.

what's even more interesting is not sure how freq Navteq updates their data. I read complains on UConnect showing "Daimler-Chrysler Jefferson Assembly", go to Nokia Maps (supposedly using latest Navteq maps as they do own Navteq) and same mistake.
    Why Chrysler's new onboard navigation system makes me chuckle

Denso makes the AVN Unit, the Display Audio with Entune is made by Harman

I expect the maps update to come soon, maybe next month. I would assume that it would be priced competitively like what I have seeing on the Navteq store.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm going to try to look into this a little more. My grandmother is in the hospital, more specifically Loma Linda University Medical Center in Murrieta. When I input the address in our '12 v it doesn't come up, but when I put it into our '04 Sienna with '12 update it does. My wife laughed...

9. allroadusa

allroadusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, European Touch&Go Nav system that comes with our Prius+ is uploaded to internal flash memory thru USB port of the car. Owners are authorized to update maps during the first 3 years of ownership. It's a DIY process using the Toyota Toolbox software (Windows OS only) to download the nav map update to a 8GB USB memory stick. Nice !
    I don't know how much Toyota would charge for the updates after the 3 initial years though...

10. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    you are using the AVN right?

11. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    free map update for 3 years? thats great map care.
    How you used the toolbox? what's your impression?

12. allroadusa

allroadusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes free update for 3 years, not so bad. I finally found the cost of the map updates after this period : 119€.

I used the Toyota toolbox few days ago. It's pretty convenient. First you have to download the certificate of your system to a memory stick. Then plug the sick onto your PC and open the toolbax software. Log on with you My.Toyota.eu account and browse for map updates, applications, firmware, etc. Download map update installation package (4.5GB for Europe maps) to the memory stick and back to the Prius for a 50min installation process.

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think I really need to read the manual. I'm sorry, but can you enlighten me as to what AVN is? (I am behind. I have yet to finish two other manuals before this one....) I just used the DEST button and tried to input the address. The hospital was opened in April 2011. It is huge, and so I guess the map data is just older than that....

14. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Maps are always behind the times for newly built roads or POIs. There is a bypass around Sanford that 2 of my 3 GPS units seem to know nothing about and I find myself directed to every off ramp including some which no longer exist but I know to ignore them. I was told my Three would receive updates through my phone. No idea the frequency or if I need to initiate some action.

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Talked to a person from Carson Toyota. No update available until next year. (I wonder if I should attempt to put the disc from my Sienna in again and try the "Update" button I saw somewhere... I'm kind of traumatized by the Cadillac Nav crashing mid install when bad batches of updates were sent out...)

16. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    sorry to digress.
    Are you using Cadillac Que? I read bad things about the system.

Dest Button you say? its the AVN or HDD Entune/Nav system.

17. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I read Apps subscriptions are available on the toolbox.
    Did you buy any Apps or subscriptions?

18. allroadusa

allroadusa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    N/A
    No I just chose and installed the free weather App. Fews other Apps were available for something like 10€/year but I didn't buy.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nope, not Cadillac Que. I don't have experience with that. When you buy a Nav disc and look at the recorded surface you note, well at least for the last two yrs that I bought one, that it looks bluish like the ones you buy at the store and record on at home. It is not like the shiny silver comercial ones. (I went to look at the 1st I bought when I had an issue with this year's.) What would happen is somehow at about 94%, (which takes a good 1 hr and a half or so,) it would crash with a read error. At first I received the wrong disc, they sent a new one with upgraded shipping, but this (still) happened. This happened around end of April, early May of this year, after the problem was supposedly solved. Solution found by someone was to burn another copy as slowly as possible from the bad disc using Imageburn. Anyone who was not successful had a dead nav! Many pages are devoted to this issue in the cadillacforums site for the generation 2 CTS series.

Ahh. I looked through the eBrochure. It is the Premium HDD Entune/Nav system. The base one is also HDD, with Entune, and Nav, so if you say HDD Entune/Nav it kind of applies to both. (I'm thinking the one you refer to as AVN is the base one.) Yes, there is a Dest button, and now that I think about it I am currious what would happen if I had tried searching Bing.

20. David W. Witte

David W. Witte New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    When we purchased our V (March 2012) the dealer told us the usb updates would be free. Have not tested that statement but plan to at our next service.