1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Navigation updates

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Flyman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your situation is so rural, do the roads change much from year to year?
    Thanks to the recession, I rarely encounter anything around here that's changed for years. :)

2. c.hack

c.hack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try eBay. I agree. The pricing is ridiculous for navigation that is worse than the cheap or free apps on my phone. I avoid the overpriced car navs like the plague. They just take up space and rob you blind.

iPad ?

3. gregrapt

gregrapt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi. What do you mean when you say "certificate"? Do you think that it would be the same to buy one of those updated DVD with maps through EBay and then put it in a stick and upgrade the system?

4. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The nav MAP update for PriusV is NOT a DVD. The Entune system uses a USB flash drive that you purchase from the parts dept. The 2102 nav map update has BEEN AVAILABLE SINCE JANUARY 2013, BUT YOUR SERVICE GUY HAS TO DIG A BIT FOR THE INFO. I am scheduled to have my 2012 Prius V five inspected by the service dept. this Friday. They say the drive in the head unit may also have to be replaced to accept the update. I'll know more Friday afternoon and will post. Stay tuned.

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Their site is getting pretty bad. I'm afraid you kind of have to call them now. I did a search on Fusa and found something here:

Junction Produce Fusa Knots

I guess it's some kind "in thing" in Japan...

I've purchased stuff through eBay. Some sellers can send copies of the TIS instructions with their accessories if you ask. It is a maze whether or not the Nav discs on eBay are legit or not. Carson Toyota's price on the disc for our '04 was pretty reasonable, so I bought it from them. You should ask for the internet person....

7. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Went to Toyota dealer today for nav map upgrade. They checked the radio to confirm that it has the 4thQ2010 maps. Duh! They upgraded the Entune software for free. The USB flash drive for the map update is $169 and $65 to install (meaning plug in and read directions on screen?). I declined, but at least my dealer has the map upgrade for sale in stock in the Parts Dept. Anyone interested in sharing the cost and USB with me? Assume it'll allow multiple plug ins.

8. papone

papone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had my 2012 navagation ( prius 5 ) updated today May 08, 2013 at a Toyota dealer. The cost was $ 237.52. I purchased this car new in December 2012 just as the 2013 were coming out. The navagaton was out of date from day one. I called Toyota Customer Care 1-800-331-4331 and complained to them. They got back to me in a day and said that they would pay for a new update. I would have to pay for it and they would refund the money in 8 to 10 weeks, They gave me a case number. On my car they don't use the old disk anymore, the dealer has a thumb ot flash drive with the updates on it and they plug into your USB in your car. Before it will work the dealer must put in special code befoer the update will work. Everyone will have a different code. My new Software update is 2.2.0. It took about an hour to complete the job. My dealer told me that there was a new update available that is why I wanted to get it fixed. They tell me that not all customers have been so luck to have Toyota pay for it. Give it a try !!!!

9. 1911Tex

1911Tex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No matter when you get your GPS updated, it will be out of date due to new streets, toll roads, etc.. It usually takes a year to 18 months for newly completed streets to appear on a GPS update. Just wait until you notice seriously objectionable amount of inaccurate routes. It is too expensive to be hyper in a GPS less than 2 years old. Our new toll road is just under 2 years old and not on the new revision.

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is assuming, of course, that you live somewhere where they actually construct new roads ;-)

11. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I spoke with John Ashby at Toyota Customer Experience today and he stated that Toyota only includes map updates if the dealer promised them at time of sale. He stated that he would NOT reimburse me for a map upgrade for the 4thQ2010 maps that my car has because the maps were current when the car was PRODUCED (03/12). I bought the car on October 26, 2012. It seems quite UNFAIR that the date of production controls, rather than the date of sale. Selling a car with maps that are 2 years out-of-date is deplorable and horrible customer service. This will be my first and last Toyota.

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    12.1 map updates are available from Carson Toyota internet guy for $155 shipped. Not too bad...

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We have a smart fortwo in the house. I used smarttekinfo to find instructions on how to install some accessories that I bought for it. On there there are instructions on what to do for vehicles that have been in inventory for a while. I think one of the items is to update the navigation software. If the vehicle is produced earlier, it would be in Toyota's best interest to have such a policy. It seems they have the opposite theory and that they are just saving themselves money. I think I saw somewhere in the LA Times that the hottest selling car in California is the Prius. I'm not surprised that they are not worried about this kind of issue if this is true. They'll probably start worrying when sales drop.

One thing I noted is that Lexus has a more detailed description of their navigation updates, which are basically Toyota's luxury brand. It states that they get data from several sources, but also somehow "drive" to confirm the accuracy of the data. I find this kind of a waste of time/redundant and is what is probably causing such a lag in their updates.

I will probably update at the end of the month on the 1 yr anniversary of buying our Prius v, although it is tempting to wait until October when the 2012 update comes out. It is funny, but BMW, Mercedes, and Cadillac are on 2013 updates. Why can't Toyota just get rid of this verification thing and get up to date!

People going to buy a new Toyota with Navigation should verify that the software is up to date and make sure that the dealer gives them an update as part of the sale! If it's around October then the current year's update should be available. Sad to say but the other manufacturers at that time have probably moved on....

14. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What map version (date) did they install?

15. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ydes, would be interested in knowing which one it is.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    T-SB-0007-13 describes the process of updating the AVN. It is 9 pages long, but has a lot of pictures. It does require interaction with TIS using an Activation Card Number. Later you take info from INFO APPS -> Map Data:

Map Version and Map Update ID

as well as the VIN, give a Repair Order Number, and select the correct USB part number (on the SST packaging starting with "TOYD" to produce a License Key. This License Key will be entered in the car to update the map. Before the map gets updated there may need to be an update to the software, which takes about 10 minutes and a restart, cycle IGN OFF, and then ON (Ready OFF) I read this to mean pushing the ON button without pressing the brake. Updating the map takes about 45 minutes. If they are charging $65 to do this, then you can judge as compared to their hourly labor rate as to it's reasonableness.

I believe Gracenotes gets updated as well.

The current update part number is: TOYD-HDD07-12, if that helps anybody...

It is advised to put a battery charger to the car while doing this update if anyone is going to attempt on their own. I may try at the end of the month. I'll update if I'm successful...

17. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If a moderator is watching, then is it okay? I had TIS access for two days. I don't have a problem posting....

The most important thing is that whoever provides the USB to you is that the person provides a license key. That will be needed to install. The parts person would need access to TIS to produce this...

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as the instructions are how to install a legitimate copy that you purchased from the dealer (or an authorised parts warehouse online) and not a method to hack the system, we're ok with it.

20. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Tideland Prius!

This is good for several models as well....

Arrgh, color is too large. Gotta do it again...

Attached Files: