1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V No Hazard or signal lights

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gasketblower, May 12, 2024.

1. Gasketblower

Gasketblower Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys a few weeks ago so ran into the issue where my Hazzard lights would not turn off and after googling the only solution that was know to work with out part replacement is to cut the light blue wire in the abs connector so I did, and everything went back to normal and the all of sudden yesterday I noticed I had no signal or hazard displaying on my dashboard but I could still hear the noise it would make when I trigger it , the signal one hyper clicking noise but the hazard has the normal sound but nothing on the inside the or outside is showing visually that it is activated , I attempted googling, all I can find is people saying it’s bad flasher relay but upon more googling the Prius V has no flasher relay and it’s chip that controls the flasher. So I just want to make sure I have done everything before I go ahead and attempt to replace that chip , those guys replaced the chip cause of hyper flashing and that they had installed leds but I have done none of that , if anyone knows a solution for the issue please let me know thanks, I have attached picture of where I cut the light blue wire but I am sure that has nothing to do with the flashers completely not working

Attached Files:

2. whitrzac

whitrzac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Posting 7 threads on the same issue isnt going to get you any help.
    Especially after you cut the wiring harness.

NEVER cut the wiring harnesses in a car without a full schematic and understanding about what is going on.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An issue where the hazard lights start flashing on their own, and faster as road speed increases, is a known gen 3 thing that can be stopped by disconnecting the sky-blue HZRI wire at pin 10 of the Skid ECU.

I haven't done it myself but others have. I had not looked at the connector closely enough to see that HZRI comes separately bundled as seen in the photo in #1. I'm not seeing in the photo whether there's only one sky-blue wire or which one was cut, so I have to assume the OP got it right and cut the one to pin #10. (If it were my car I'd have wanted to just extract the terminal rather than cutting the wire, but that's me. Cutting the wire works, if it's the right wire.)

That's all based on a 2010 liftback wiring diagram though. I've never confirmed all those details are the same for a 2014 v.

Cutting HZRI should not be connected to the hazards otherwise not working. If you hear the clicking sound but nothing is flashing in or outside the car, that would seem to be a problem in the flasher unit outputs or downstream.

The flasher unit connects to a blue connector with 8 positions, and is pretty high up under the left corner of the dash—again, according to a 2010 liftback diagram.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In the old days of no 5 volt micro voltages, amperages, and impedance tolerant 12 volt circuits and robust copper conductors, cutting, shortening or lengthening wires was no big issue.

Things have changed with the environment of ECU's and micro circuits. Cutting wires in the harness can change everything.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... but generally doesn't, in a car, with the possible exception of some circuits that carry communication protocols and have special considerations called out in the manual. Otherwise, the engineers do a respectable job of keeping that kind of complexity encapsulated within ECU modules so that most of the car's wiring is robust to the harsh automotive environment and to the kinds of things automotive electricians are wont to do.

Now if you're changing the lengths of circuit board traces inside of an ECU, you're on your own. :)

The HZRI input to the Skid ECU is a simple 12 volt signal, pulled to ground by the hazard switch. (I've never figured out why the Skid ECU wants to know when you've pushed the hazard switch, but Toyota must have thought it should know.)

The issue develops when something fails inside the ECU and bridges that pin with the adjacent "SP1" output pin, which produces a pulse with frequency proportional to road speed. Then the HZRI input ends up functioning as an output, effectively activating the hazards intermittently, and faster as road speed increases.

I've speculated that just inserting a diode in the HZRI line, rather than cutting it completely, would be a way to resolve the goofy flash issue while still allowing the Skid ECU to know when you've pushed the hazard switch (for whatever reason it wants to know that). But that is probably futile, as the internal fault would surely still be pulling the input down internally, and making the ECU think you were rhythmically pushing the hazard switch according to your road speed.

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Still, I would never cut into the wiring harness. If one does and takes the car to a dealer, they would not work on the vehicle without replacing that section of the wiring harness.

Non OEM modifications could lead to endless billed hours of troubleshooting, even if the technician even wants to work on the vehicle.

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota sells "repair terminals" for their wire harnesses, which are pre-crimped to a length of wire, often 150 mm, sometimes longer; in the online Electrical Wiring Diagram you can pull up the part number of the proper repair terminal for a given connector pin. (The length is shown there too.) Assuming it got cut within 150 mm of the terminal, they'd be able to repair the harness by crimping on the repair terminal, which is an approved method.

I'm in favor of reversible mods, so if it were me I'd probably just have extracted pin 10 from the harness connector and taped it up. But that's me.

8. Gasketblower

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I don’t see where you got the info of me
    Posting 7 different times , I posted
    Twice and no one replied to my other one so I thought I posted in the wrong section , cutting the wire did not effect what is happening currently and I made sure that wires that got cut will not touch ground , it corrected the issue of me having the hazzard lights on all the time and saw multiple
    Posts and videos about that

9. Gasketblower

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    According to Toyota Dealer the flasher unit is built into my
    Dash cluster on the Prius V which is chip that does all that, and since I am
    Not getting any kinda flashing activity even on the cluster , I am thinking my cluster has gone bad , but trying to figure alternate methods of getting my signals to work without replacing cluster

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Regrettably, I've never gone and downloaded a wiring diagram for the v, and my TIS subscription isn't active at the moment, so I can't quickly go and confirm or rebut what the dealer said. Seems a little odd it would be that different from the gen 3 liftback, but that's a question the wiring diagram can answer and I can't.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Best then, to “report” your post to the moderator, let them decide where it should be. To do this, click on “Tools” button, lower left corner of post.

replicating the post elsewhere is frustrating to responders in initial thread; they put in their 2 cents, only to see Original Poster wander off to a new thread.

see your original post was in maintenance, and this one’s in technical. Either would do, but I’d say the maintenance forum is better, just seems to be the catch-all location for troubles.

Yeah maybe report, in the initial post here, see what the moderator wants to do. if there’s no responses still to the other, he’ll likely just delete it.

#11 Mendel Leisk, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
  12. Gasketblower

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Going to go to the dealer and try my luck with the parts guy see if he will print me off a copy of the wiring diagram for the signal switch and flasher relay if there is even one , today I connected direct power to the left side of my rear signal light and tested it and the whole system started to work a bit funky but I got it to show up on the dash board that the signal light is on and it was blinking on right side but it was solid light on the left side , I am thinking worst comes to worst I will rewire a 8 pin flasher relay completely into my car, I bought separate switch as well just to test and also the flasher relay that’s supposedly is in all the Prius gen3 but not in a V , I don’t want to take my entire front dashboard apart if I don’t have to , I am handy with wiring stuff but this has me banging my head! Will never pay anyone for electric problems cause it can cost ridiculous money

Attached Files: