1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v overheating intermittently

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zach m, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Zach m

Zach m New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    To start things off I have a 2012 Prius v I recently swapped to a 2016 4th gen JDM engine since install have had p0032 and p0117 dtc what I have done so far as trying to fix these I have replaced 02 sensors water pump and thermostat and have tested ECT sensors with multi meter confirming they have proper resistance also have made sure air is out of cooling system by raising coolant tank and running in maintenance mode several times to ensure it wasn't just and air bubble heater works properly I am currently running out of ideas as to what I have going on any help or idea would be very much appreciated

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Describe what overheating intermittently means in your case. Reservoir cap releasing coolant? Obvious engine overheating with noise and smell? Temperature light? Details needed to get better help.

There are two coolant sensors, one on the engine 7C4 and another on the exhaust heat recirc line 7C0. Check both with a scanner. How high do they go? Should always stay below 210f, usually below 200f.

Prius gen3 coolant sensors.jpeg

Air is not a problem with gen3 engines and not likely with gen4 in a gen3 car. However the hose configuration is different and lots of people have overheating with these conversions. Be sure you are using a gen4 water pump but modifying the smaller hose routing seems to be a requirement with different solutions.

I would look for recent posts on the subject. Some claim success - others seem to live with it.

Tim Jones likes this.