1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v radio upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kayaker313!!, Aug 8, 2021.

1. kayaker313!!

kayaker313!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've just replaced my daughter's 2012 prius v radio (non JBL, with nav #57011) and the "new" replacement didn't work either. So, either the wiring (how do I tell??) or this unit as well. One, how can I check the wiring? It all looked in very good shape at basic look. Two, does anyone know of a replacement that is reasonable? Crutchfield has options but it worries me that I'm missing something!

Thank you for any thoughts!

2. greenJeans7

greenJeans7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it getting power, does it turn on?

3. kayaker313!!

kayaker313!! New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It gets power, turns on briefly. The screen won't stay on though. Even Toyota said they couldn't diagnose it bc screen wouldn't stay on (BS, of course. They wanted to replace the head unit at $900...well, I just did that myself with a supposedly working one and it didn't work.) Soooo, I guess it's the wiring? But where do I start with that?!?

4. greenJeans7

greenJeans7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were me I would check the basic stuff first - were aftermarket speakers etc. recently changed / installed, if so look for shorts which could cause a protection shutdown, loose/corroded wire harness, fuses.
    Other that that the classic way to troubleshoot would be to start signal tracing at the heads input to verify is receiving correct voltage and/or signals. That can be a pain as that repair information is not readily available.

ASRDogman likes this.