1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V Slip control activating at slow turns

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by KrisW211, Nov 28, 2018.

1. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius V that came from 3 previous shops including the dealer who replaced the ABS module.. The car was in a front right accident requiring a new hub, axle, control arm and strut. Previous shops replaced both front wheel speed sensors and hub twice and still same problem. When turning more than 50 degrees, at 11mph slip control grabs the front left brake. Same happens turning left or right. I don't have any codes with Techstream, yet on ABS history it does record when VSC takes over. Looking at the records, nothing seems unusual. Something I was thinking was the YAW sensor- I unbolted it and my co-worker drove, trying to tilt/turn it the opposite way it should be tilting, the slip control came on less. When driving in a straight line and moving the sensor, the car grabs the brakes same as slip control. Unplugging the sensor, I was able to do donuts at around 30mph with no slip control coming on (im pretty sure because abs is offline since the YAW sensor is missing). I got a new YAW sensor, put it in, did recalibration/ zero point, same problem. All tire pressures are correct, all tire sizes are correct and same, alignment is straight, both front wheel speed sensors are new and clean, hubs are clean, performed zero calibration many times, what could be the problem?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First thing I thought were the hubs may have been aftermarket and have some flaw. Then maybe a cable or connector problem on the factory harness when you said move the sensor causes an issue.

3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had an intermittent VSC indication after a drive on a very heavily salted highway that only cleared after a protracted drive in heavy rain. I concluded that one of the wheel speed sensor connections had been intermittently shorting due to presence of electrolyte from the salt, which was ultimately diluted and washed away.

Check your speed sensor connectors and clean them carefully, then use some dielectric grease on the connections.

#3 Air_Boss, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Pluggo likes this.
  4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I had a "foreign object" on my speed sensor one time....
    inspect speed sensor.jpg foreign matter speed sensor.jpg

Pluggo and Air_Boss like this.
  5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    "These DTCs may be detected when a malfunction occurs in the connector terminals or wire harness of the speed sensor circuit."

Seems to verify what I experienced, intermittently.

6. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Weird thing is- on Techstream, when I go to the "All sensor signal test" it shows loss of ALL wheel speed sensors, abnormal change ALL sensors, and pressure sensor low output"

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some common voltage or ground point could be a problem.

Air_Boss likes this.
  8. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Removed both fender liners to inspect the ground points. Did a resistance test from the ground point to the ground wire at the ABS Module, got a reading of 0, even performed a harness movement test, no change, I have a steady 12.5-14.2Volts @ the ABS module while driving.

9. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Something I've read up on.. Does the Prius V have two DIFFERENT steering racks? Let alone, tie rod ends? I saw a post saying vehicles with 15in wheels have a different rack from vehicles with 17in.

Eric Mallon likes this.
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The racks have different ratios and travel. The 17” v Five turning circle is larger than the 15” models.

11. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    So could the wrong rack fit?

12. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update: called the insurance company for the replaced rack they installed,sure enough they installed the rack fro 16in wheels, the vehicle has 17"

13. KrisW211

KrisW211 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Vehicle fixed. It had the 16in wheels steering rack installed. Ordered and installed the 17in wheels rack and reset, align and drove. All good now, thank you to all who helped.

Eric Mallon, Air_Boss and Raytheeagle like this.