1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V suddenly stopped working on road

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Amily, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Amily

Amily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2012 Prius suddenly stopped working when I was driving on the road, looks like all light on, please see pictures. I slowly drove it to the side road.

Now it was towed to my home. It won’t start anymore. I Checked the 12V battery, and I also unplugged the negative of the 12V battery and replugged, but it didn’t work.The 12 battery is only 2 years old.

I checked the main fuses which are look good.

Please any suggestions? Thank you, everyone.

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Please pick ONE sub forum and post your questions only ONCE.
    Duplicate posts just confuse matters.......usually.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Its hard to say without a quality scanner reading the codes. Common issues like this on a 2012 v are inverter or master cylinder failures but other gas engine or electric faults are possible.

My suggestion is tow it to the dealer quickly. Their are special warranties on the inverter and master cylinder that expire this year on the day it was originally purchased. That could be pretty soon but most likely in Sept-Dec 2021. If you pay an independent to do those items "cheaper" Toyota won't reimburse you. So its worth a Toyota diagnosis.

4. Amily

Amily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you so much for your reply. I got a code which is P0A1A which matches one code below enhancement ZE3, I live in Florida, I am wondering if my 2012 prius V can be covered by ZE3? I updated the picture of the code. Thanks again.

5. Amily

Amily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry about that. I want to delete one but I didn't find the delete button.

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no delete option on Priuschat. Normally you can revise a post only for a short time. Sometimes when the forum allows an edit, I may simply write Delete in place of potentially redundant, misleading or plain wrong info. You can also Report the post and ask for a Delete. It seems the forum would rather keep it.

When we talk codes, we are referring to diagnostic codes obtained with a separate "obd2" scanner. The best for a Prius is their Techstream system. If it is a qualified warranty "customer support program" problem, the dealer has to diagnose it.

Sometimes 12v batteries do fail suddenly so if you really want to do something before taking it to a mechanic, you could take the battery out and have it tested where you bought it. You could also attempt a jump start. Be very careful when attempting a jump start as serious damage can happen with wrong connections.

Jump point gen3 Prius.JPG

#6 rjparker, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  7. Amily

Amily Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi rjparker, thank you so much for your explanation and the details. I took the 12V battery to the store where I bought it, they checked the battery and the battery is good but without sufficient electric, so the battery was kept in the store and charged for 2 hours, but after the battery was put back, the car still won't start. Finally I got the code P0A1A with a OBD2 scanner, now I am wondering should I call the Toyota dealership firstly or tow my car to the dealership directly ? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again.

8. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you have more than one dealer close enough, I would call each and ask for a Service Advisor, unless you already use a specific advisor. Explain the situation quickly and ask what their minimum diagnostic charge would be. If it turns out to be a Customer Support Program problem, they will cover everything. If not, they will likely give you a repair quote for whatever the problem may be and give you an option to repair or find an alternate shop. Some independent shops with hybrid specific experience and good reviews can save money.

#8 rjparker, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From what I can see, ZE3 is a warranty enhancement specific to the Prius liftback. But there is a similar program covering the Prius v, namely ZF5. To avoid confusion, if you have a v, you should be searching for and talking about that one.

10. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This sounds fishy to me.
    2 hours usually is not enough time to charge a battery that is low.
    And what CAUSED it to be low ?
    I don't think you have proven that your 12 V battery is good yet.