1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius V w/leaking head gasket. Repair or Replace Engine?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Elwha22, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Elwha22

Elwha22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks,

Hoping to get some help in this forum on what I should do with my 2012 Prius V. It has 180,000 miles and has had minimal issues until now. I'm not handy and wouldn't be doing any repairs myself but am trying to decide which way to go.

Yesterday afternoon was my first experience with the engine knocking/shaking upon startup. It had sat since the night before. We're in California so it wasn't very cold. Having no idea what it was I immediately turned it off and then tried it again. After getting the noise twice, I had it towed to the Toyota Service Center for an evaluation.

They informed me today that it was a leaking head gasket and either the head gasket needs to be replaced or I could put in a remanufactured engine. They said the labor price is about the same. They will get back to me tomorrow with the price of the remanufactured engine as well as the price for labor.

I am a bit disappointed because I thought a Toyota would run for any more miles before having major problems.

Would love to get some advice about the pros/cons of each approach so that I can make an informed decision about my next steps.

Thank you for your help and advice.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The remanufactured engine should have new piston rings and a rebuilt head. Maybe new water pumps and timing chain. The head gasket only repair might get a rebuilt head. Since these engines burn oil in their old age, the rebuilt engine is better. Let us know what the cost options are and what they include in a rebuilt engine. My guess is $5k for the engine or maybe $3500 for a dealer head rebuild with gasket. The alternative is a third party head gasket job which might be $2k depending on what they include.

The real decision is how much is the car worth as is versus with a head gasket or reman engine. If you want to private party sell it soon maybe get a head gasket. If you want to get a 100k more miles, then a reman engine might be worth it. Factor in a hv battery at $2k in that 100k future.

There is a company called Gasketmasters in Cali that might be an option. See their youtube channel. Finally, some get as much as six months on a head gasket coolant sealer such as K&W. But you might clog up the cooling system and heater or end up hydrolocking the engine one day without a true fix.

3. Elwha22

Elwha22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for writing back. Appreciate your help. They quoted 7500 or so for a remanufactured engine. I'm going to go with this option because it has a warranty and its done by Toyota. I don't know who else to trust that isn't a Toyota shop. The head will go to a shop. The timing chain will be reused from the current engine. Not sure about the water pump.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what non hybrid could you buy for $7.500. plus whatever yours is worth?

Tim Jones likes this.
  5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry to hear this... people give me a hard time for posting things that happen to the prius... these cars are not like the older non hybrid toyotas that last 15 years... all the gas savings gone..... and that is just the beginning.... traction battery next.... and if you get the engine make sure it has a new water pump because they do go out.

6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The timing chain and gears should be discarded, along with the timing tensioner. If a new chain is installed on the old gears, the old gears will quickly wear out the new chain. Conversely, new gears will quickly tear up the old chain, and the old tensioner can not provide the proper tension on the chain under all conditions. Any shop that would reuse any of those parts, unless explicitly approved and requested by the customer, given the amount of labor required to service them, should not be servicing your vehicle.

Tim Jones likes this.
  7. cdltpx

cdltpx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My
    My new to me Prius V 2012 has a 2017 engine in it. I purchased it that way. The chassis has 216,000 mi up on it the engine has a suspected 25,000 mi about now. The car is doing very well getting excellent economy the problem I've noticed recently is my stereo was not putting out on the rear speakers. I checked the 12 volt battery it appears as though the last guy did not replace the 12 volt battery with a Prius 12 volt battery that could be the issue since I hooked up a trickle charger the rear speakers seem to be engaging. I suspect that the 12-volt system did not have enough power to power the amplifier driving the speakers. A car with as many computer systems within it needs to have the proper battery I will get on that. Now the guy that repaired this car said that he got the body for $800 and he got the engine for $800 he put it in himself. Course he was a aircraft mechanic in the air Force. And do an engine swaps to him it's just a hobby he's in Shreveport Louisiana.