1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v was covered by ZF5, but the dealership refused to provide a rental car

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Amily, Mar 6, 2021.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You missed an opportunity.
    I would have told them that I was going to start seeing other dealerships.....perhaps dealerships that give their customers access to free or discounted loaner cars during a warranty repair - which is essentially a repair to cover a defect.

The Toyota dealerships in my region (AND yours! Southeast Toyota - the scummiest!) usually provide loaners for warranty and pre-paid maintenance work requiring an overnight stay. They also rent these same cars out to people wanting to "try before they buy" and then sell them later.....probably as A-title cars, knowing them!
    So.....
    When they ask you later how much you liked their service.....you can 'explain some of this to them.
    It may work.....but I have my doubts.

Your car is over 8 years old.....so the "dating" portion of your relationship with Toyota is over.
    What you're learning NOW is how they REALLY feel about you.
    Like.....trying to turn THEIR manufacturing defect and YOUR missfortune into an opportunity for them to sell you another car.

Statistically you're going to be in the market for a new car before long, and they probably missed a pretty good opportunity to cement some pretty strong brand loyalty with you.
    I'd think about that when it comes time to put the V out to pasture....and I'd TELL them that you're thinking about it.

If you're looking for advice?
    I'd tell them after the fact that the "change dealer" light just came on. ;)

#21 ETC(SS), Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What’s that saying: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, lol.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Same experience I have had on some Toyota fixes. Obviously it helps if you are a returning customer and the dealer has a rental fleet in house. Its amazing that personal experience is often dismissed because someone's perceptions suggest it should be different.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We’ve been going to one body shop location for maybe 30 years now. It changed ownership about 5 years back, and while the work quality is still excellent, the loaner car situation “took a turn”.

The previous owner had a small stable of recent vintage, slightly burnished vehicles, always easy to pick up and drop off, no hassles.

The new owner, if you want a loaner, has a rep from one of the major rental companies come in, and while you “can” drive off scot-free, they REALLY turn up the heat, trying to sell you zero-deductible liability insurance, scare-tactics and all.

Not exactly progress, and living about 4 blocks distant, and being low usage, I just waive the loaner now.

#24 Mendel Leisk, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My 2012 experienced something at 130K. Car wouldn’t go above 30mph. Engine revved at very high RPM when accelerating. Multiple warning lights illuminated. Drove it in to dealer. Dealer provided Uber ride home. Called a couple hours later to tell me inverter problem. Needed to order a part. No ETA. Dealer offered rental car (I had to ask though). Dealer provided Uber back to dealership where I was given a new Camry SE with only 30 miles. Drove it Fri-Tues.

Repair completed with new Transistor Pack (or something) but an internal part of the inverter.

I now notice the ICE coming on much more frequently. Upon power on, engine comes on but stays on much longer than before. Also, when slowing and stopping at stoplights, engine stays running longer than before as well. Anyone who had the similar repair notice this? Because of this, seems MPG decreased a bit.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Within the limits of experimental error, our MPG did not change as a result of the Inverter campaign work.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You should let the dealer have another look at it.
    BUT.....what you describe is often the sign of the HV battery getting weak.
    They should be able to test that too.