1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius w/ 104,000 on odometer

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by stonant, Dec 17, 2018.

1. stonant

stonant New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone, have a 2012 with 104k miles on the odometer. Have a couple of expensive things happening and was looking for advice.

First, I'd like to start off by saying that if you are ever in CT or NY, avoid Greentree Toyota (Danbury, CT) and Westchester Toyota (Yonkers, NY) at all costs. Westchester just charged me 280$ out the door for a diagnostic check on my car and couldn't find anything wrong, because the scanner didn't turn up anything (2hrs for a hybrid vehicle because of 'complexity').

First, let's talk about the brakes. April 2018 I changed the pads and rotors in my car and bled the brakes because my pads were worn, the brakes were a little squishy, and my brake fluid reservoir was looking a little low. The car threw a DTC Code of C1214/62, which was expected because of the recent brake job (not sure which INF code it was).

Brakes felt much better until about a month or two ago. My pads and rotors are in good shape, fluid level ok, but my brakes are super squishy. I don't have an increase in pressure/braking power for about 1/3 of the middle of the brake pedal travel (almost a dead zone), and when sitting at a traffic light the pedal can be depressed to the floor and the ABS will kick in. This has me convinced that my booster/master cylinder unit is about to go, and that I'm looking at a $3,000 Toyota job, or a ~1700$ job from an independent guy. Although my brakes feel like crud the westchester dealer won't recommend anything other than a $400 brake job because there is no code, even though the braking performance isn't great. Not sure what to do; wait for disaster and a total failure of the master cylinder/accumulator?

But enough of that, onto the other expensive stuff for this car due to its age.

-Need to do an ATF flush/change (dealer charges $189 if you enjoy bleeding money)
    -Need to do a coolant change/flush (see above, will find someone else to do it)
    -Need to do a 'hybrid service'? Not sure what this consists of? dealer quoted $300
    -Need to do an inverter service? I thought this was the hybrid service? Dealer quotes $189
    -Dealer, who honestly thinks I am interested in all this, also thinks I need a $260 injection service

ATF flush/replacement and coolant are no problem and I'll take care of.

What's the difference between the inverter service and the hybrid service? I know that some involve cleaning fans and filters, and does the 'inverter service' just mean flushing and replacing the inverter fluid? Not sure why there are two separate charges for such outrageous sums.

Also, not sure about the fuel injection service? I last changed my spark plugs around ~80k, not sure what else should be done? I suppose I can google here.

bisco likes this.
  2. stonant

stonant New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forgot to include in my post, but wanted to thank everyone in advance for their help/advice.

Also wish to mention that my family has had 6 Toyota's, and this particular Prius (1 of the 4 in the family) is by far the worse vehicle we've ever owned/experienced.

-Front seat rattles uncontrollably unless someone is sitting in it (something metal in the backrest)
    -Constant buzzing/fan noises out of a rear vent, some kind of little motor must be on its last legs
    -the bluetooth issues are outrageous (frequently cannot sync with any devices, it's like the bluetooth just fails)
    -driver side seat heater hurts after 1 minute, actually too uncomfortable to use (passenger is fine)

If I can remember anything else obnoxious about this car I'll let you know, honestly hoping someone totals it while it's parked on the side of the road.

3. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds very depressing! Tell us what the "independent guy" had to suggest.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there's no such thing as 'hybrid service' or 'inverter service'.
    i hate to tell you, but those dealers are typical.

you have a maintenance schedule that comes with the car. follow it closely, and add the tranny fluid change, as well as cleaning the hv cooling fan/duct/intake grille, which they may mean by hybrid service. a very simple job.
    as for the brakes, once you've diy'ed, you're kinda on your own. you won't get a warranty actuator without codes/trouble lights.
    best to take it to an indy shop with tech stream diagnostic software, and a good hybrid mechanic.

all the best!(y)

tankyuong likes this.