1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 priusV , Brake, traction and ABS light keeps coming back!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Atif Siddiqui, Apr 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Atif Siddiqui

Atif Siddiqui New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The three lights BRAKE, TRACTION and ABS light keeps coming back. Goes away on its own but comes back, front braking impacted.

OBD2 scanner does not see any error codes.

I also reset using pin . It cleared the lights but they come back again.

Fact that when lights disappear breaking starts to work properly seems that it's not a breaking issue but just a sensor malfunctioning.

Thoughts? Check with Toyota? Most mechanics are saying might need to go to the dealer.

Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are many OBD-II scanners that will not retrieve brake system codes from your Prius. To get the codes without relying on any scanner, you can use this method:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

For the love of Pete, another post with "reset using pin". That means you were already using the blink codes procedure described above, but while you were right there you just cleared the codes and did not write down what they are.

I am sorry, my frustration is not with you, but with the way people still find so many references to "reset using pin" that do not explain reading the codes, which is what the pin is there for.

No, that doesn't follow at all. Trouble codes from the car are often designed to be warnings, that is, to tell you about some incipient problem before you yourself can tell anything isn't working properly, so there is time for you to do something about it. They would be less useful if they could only tell you about problems you already can tell you have.

Often, when the car detects a problem and sets trouble codes and warning lights, it will change behavior in a way programmed to protect against further damage (or danger to you), and that behavior change is what you notice when the lights come on. When you clear the codes and the behavior goes back to 'normal', you haven't proved there is no actual issue. You only prove that if you force the car to forget that it noticed the issue, you can also make it forget to take precautions.

In your case, it is good that the warning lights promptly come back. You will not have to wait long for an opportunity to read the trouble codes, and then we can get somewhere with understanding the issue.

Atif Siddiqui likes this.
  3. Atif Siddiqui

Atif Siddiqui New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I tried the pin again. And started the car without brake pressed on. Power button pressed twice.

The lights started flashing, I didn't see any codes. As the pic attached is showing.

What does that mean?

Attached Files:

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From experience… Wheel speed sensor or wheel speed sensor harness connector.

#4 Air_Boss, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or, whatever the trouble codes say.

If it's that, they'll say that.

6. Atif Siddiqui

Atif Siddiqui New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    went to City Garage, they were able to obtain the codes:

Brake Booster/Master - $ 1,425.84
    Booster Pump - $ 953.14
    + Labor

needs to be replaced.

there is a technical bulletin out which might have covered it for free if it has happened before Dec 2021. out of warranty on that as well.

7. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's way to high............... parts are under $1500

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    Did you manage the sort the issue out ? i am having same problem need to get a scanning tool to see what the error codes are , any recommendation for cheap scanner ?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  11. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
  12. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    The issue of flashing lights and brake not working is gone now, cannot replicate . Also did the pin 4 and 13 shortening the lights were blinking but there was no error code.
    My car is RHD and i believe the actuator the master pump is on the right hand side, i have ordered the VCI cable from ebay now will take few days to come, being RHD will that make job easier if i have to change the master pump? some pictures of engine bay

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      152 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      158.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      88.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpeg
      5.jpeg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not certain what you mean by that. The blinking lights are the codes. You count the blinks.

There was a long confusing thread here once where somebody was using the jumper wire and watching the lights blink and saying there weren't any codes, and even posted a video of the blinking lights and we could all count them and see what the codes were, but the person still insisted "but there aren't any codes".

It turned out somebody made a youtube video that showed how to count the blinks, and tried to make it easier to understand by superimposing numbers in the video next to the blinking lights, showing the counts. Only, this person had watched the video and thought those numbers should actually appear on the dash.

They don't. Have to count the blinks,

The only "no code" indication is when a warning light blinks a half-second steady pattern. Then that particular light hasn't got a code for you.

14. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    My bad did not read the thread carefully but anyways i managed to call RAC (breakdown service in UK) the guy said Prius's are very complicated and he does'nt understant how they work, i requested him to scan the car and found below codes i hope this will help to fix the issue. Error codes are below

Attached Files:

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were my car, I would focus on the C1241 first. It indicates there isn't adequate voltage arriving at the brake system. (Sometimes the problem is the 12 volt battery, but not always; it can be wiring or connectors on the way to the brake system too.)

I would look at that first because inadequate power to the brake system could contribute to those other codes.

16. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks, in the second scan the error code c1241 was gone but I will still check the battery and cables

Air_Boss likes this.
  17. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is the pump running a lot? That's main item

18. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    yes it is every 10 to 25 second or any time i open the door or press the padle

19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's supposed to come on when you open the door..... I don't know how to tell what part it is bad but I installed a used pair on and it they went out.
    Then toy offered full replacement and my used parts went out the last month the free parts were available. last day was december 31 and got mine back from toy on dec 22. They had my car 18 days.... and when the inverter blew it was 23 days.

Good luck..... so glad I sold my v....... very costly if you can't do the repairs yourself.... and easy to get ripped off.

20. faisalak7

faisalak7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Active
    True looks like all this Prius malarky is just delusional , these cars are so expensive to buy and repair
    Mine is import from Japan and Toyota UK do not honour any warranty or recalls or software updates its all shite

#20 faisalak7, Sep 11, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2023