1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Rear Spoiler Paint Oxidizing

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prevee5, Jul 17, 2016.

1. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the follow up.

2. simonhdvu

simonhdvu New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I've been living with this exact issue for about 3 years now and my silver 2012 Prius V spoiler is looking exceptionally bad now. Can you provide me with your Toyota Corporate contact, so I can open a case as well?

#22 simonhdvu, May 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2018
  3. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately, I do not have a specific contact at Toyota.
    At the time, I just called the toll-free nimber from the “Contact Us” page. Spoke with someone there and explained the whole situation and was assigned a case number. Make sure you seek help from the dealer prior to calling as this is their normal protocol. Within a couple weeks they informed me I was approved a replacement spoiler and installation at my local dealer. Was surprisingly simple.

Contact Us | Contact Toyota

Good luck!,

4. brentbba

brentbba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good info. My son recently purchased a used 2013 and the rear spoiler has what I would term severe oxidation on the top of the hatch spoiler. No idea as to it's maintenance prior as we purchased it used. Can't compare this spoiler to either mine or my wife's 2013's as they are both garaged.

Will try rubbing compound or a light clay bar and see what happens there. As the car is well out of warranty, talking with our local dealer would be a waste of good oxygen, but sounds like a necessary step toward Toyota Customer Service at corporate. Had a similar hate/love experience with son's Scion Tc with a known recall that he hadn't had time to get 'tested' by a dealer before the engine blew. Short story, dealer refused to do anything as he hadn't gone thru the 'required' test for the recall. He called corporate and had a new engine in very short order. Dealership still hates him to this day!

For those that have gone the dealer route with an oxidized spoiler, claim premature failure regardless of being out of warranty?

5. prevee5

prevee5 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I would suggest going to the dealer first as corporate will tell you to go there first anyway as the dealer is the eyes and ears reporting to corporate. So there needs to be some kind of documentation showing you went to the dealer first as this is normal protocol.
    In my case, my car was over a year out of warranty and Toyota came through for me.
    Hey, it’s worth a shot. You really have nothing to lose.
    Good luck!

6. Chuck Hughes

Chuck Hughes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Me too 2012 bought new. It looks terrible.

#26 Chuck Hughes, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2020
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2015 is still new looking. I have been waxing it though.

orenji likes this.
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No issues with our 2012, and nothing special done to or for it...

9. jjmenei

jjmenei Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Our 2012 Sky Blue Prius V Rear Spoiler paint is also oxidizing after about 5 years. It looks like the clear coat has completely failed!!
    This Vehicle painted surfaces are always hand washed (when needed) & waxed several times per year.
    Car is garaged kept & in the sun for a limited time during the day.
    I believe there is a Paint compatibility issue with all Prius V Rear Spoilers plastic material.
    Local San Diego Dealer wanted $500 to repaint this spoiler, which I decided not to do.
    Keeping a good coat of wax on the spoiler to slow down the paint deterioration.
    Too bad as the rest of the car's paint looks showroom new.

10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest a mobile bumper repair company. Cost will be much lower and done well.

11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My 2013 is doing the same thing...... same COLOR

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Neglected paint in high sun areas will fail. 8 year old paint is old, so I am surprised Toyota would cover it. Had mine repainted last year, looks awesome now and was less then $150. Wax often and park in the shade or garage when possible.

13. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Paint on my v is excellent except for the spoiler.... it's more faded than oxidized.....
    One day at Starbucks there was another car just like mine and the spoiler was in the same condition....

14. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes it’s common, the clear coat fades/fails. Just need to have it repainted.

Montgomery likes this.
  15. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Funny that it's just the spoiler..... wonder if the paint wasn't thick enough or a different paint process than the car body.
    Or maybe the plastic.................

16. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes - plastic, different paint process, maybe by third party outside Toyota, and being a flat service and often over looked for waxing.

17. craig glaspell

craig glaspell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if someone makes a spoiler DECAL, to install over the oxidized paint, my gloss black spoiler is oxidized bad, I don't wanna spend 4-500 on new one, figure a carbon fiber decal// or gloss black 3M film could make it a bit better? anyone know of any cut for Prius?

18. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could do carbon fiber, but I have a dark blue one and the rear spoiler is all faded and oxidized as well. I just rubbed some Vaseline on it, wiped off the excess, and it looks closer to the original color and it is shiny again. It lasts a little while before having to do it again.