1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Silicon Valley Auto Show?

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by cwerdna, Jan 2, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone from Priuschat going to be there? You can get a free weekday ticket along w/a free year of Motor Trend magainze at 2012 Silicon Valley International Auto Show.

I might go... if I do, I'll probably be going on the 6th.

2. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope it's better than the San Diego show. No 12' gen III, no C. Probably 1/3 of the show was car clubs vs new cars. Fun to see the old cars but it really shows how tight the budgets are for this type of marketing. Interesting that Ford had the best presence of the U.S. manf's and they didn't mooch any taxpayer money to stay solvent.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They had 2 PIPs but they were locked up tight. They had "prototype" stickers on the door windows. I tried asking the Toyota reps questions but they were not very knowledgeable about the PIP...
    I was going to try to do some test drives of the V , Leaf and Volt but I was having a bad day with allergy attacks. I was hoping to see some of the plug in battery pack companies but none were there this year not even Plug In Conversion Corp. From Poway.
    The Chrysler "spokesperson" was giving her sales pitch on a microphone on stage and there was not ANYONE in ear range besides me walking by to even hear her. I felt sorry for her (and Chrysler)

5. Yogi56

Yogi56 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    San Diego had the indoor 4x Jeep circuit, very cool. We drove a Kia Optima Hybrid, nice car and loaded for the money, 32k. Backseat has limo legroom. I think there were a couple of others.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, anyone going?

I'm probably going and plan to be there Friday.

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I will be going to Southern CA for the weekend or else I would come.

MB860 ?

8. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    When will you be there? I might be able to escape for an hour this afternoon hanging out at the show but not until 3pm or so. If you are going, how would I find you?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I probably won't be there until 2 pm or so myself.

10. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I assume they will have a PiP on display. Let's meet there at 3:15pm. I'll be wearing a red shirt, blue jeans, and black sneakers.

Does that work?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That should work. You should've gotten my PM.

I can check my PMs and emails from my iPhone 4, while I'm there.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was good meeting and talking to Jeff N. I didn't realize he had a Volt :eek::) nor did I know about his previous Prius history. Apparently, he also attended the BayLeaf meeting w/the Leaf's chief vehicle engineer + whole bunch of Nissan folks.

Anyhow... if anyone goes, do the test drives first. They all have limited hours and (on my day) w/Ford and GM ending at 5 pm while Toyota ended at 6. I think I should've skipped my Volt test drive (have driven it before) and gone to try out some Fords, esp. some of their cars w/their maligned automated manual transmissions. By the time I was done w/the Chrysler and GM test drives, Ford was done for the day. :(

Unfortunately, for all the automakers I tried (Chrysler, GM and Toyota), all the test drive loops were pretty short w/the Scion iQ being really short.

If you were planning to subscribe to Motortrend magazine, it might be worth going as there are cards you can fill out in order to get a free year's subscription.

Oddly enough, I don't think Audi was there but Mercedes was. At the recent SF auto show, Audi was there but Mercedes was absent. Nissan got a really odd area to exhibit their cars and I almost missed it. Jaguar's was also in a semi-weird spot. Coda was there. I do wonder if their cars will sell, based on their interior and exterior styling vs. the increasingly crowded space of EVs and PHEVs.

The Ford Focus Electric was there but I couldn't open the trunk (hatch). I asked if they could open it. Their reps said no and gave me an excuse of "fire marshal regulations". :rolleyes: (Right... trunks and hatches are open on tons of other cars there, including theirs.) I asked them how much of the trunk area was taken up by the battery and their reply was "a lot". I was able to fold down the rear seat and confirm that. I do wonder how these FFEs are going to sell when people look at the cargo area and price vs. a Leaf.

Also, for whatever reason, it seemed like the hood cable was disconnected so I couldn't pop the hood.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One thing that annoyed me was that the GM reps for the Volt test drives were perpetuating lies and misleading folks. The rep spoke to the guy in front me claiming that the engine never drives the wheels. :rolleyes:

When that guy asked about the price, the rep said the Volt started at $39K. In response, the other guy said "Does GM not want to sell the Volt?" He then asked the price of the Cruze and the rep lied saying it's about $23K. :rolleyes: Right.... On the front of 2012 Chevy Cruze | Compact Car | Chevrolet, it says MSRP starting at $16,800.

The rep also told a statement that could be a lie for Bay Area Volt owners, depending on your electricity schedule (due to ripoff PG&E). He stated that it'd cost $1.50 to drive 40 miles on electricity alone.

I haven't run the numbers nor gotten typical kwh/mile efficiency figures for the Volt yet but I do know the Volt's less efficient than the Leaf. From my earlier estimates at My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - "typical" Miles/KWh figures for a couple scenarios?, even if the Volt were as efficient from the plug as the Leaf, if I assumed 0.20/kwh, it'd be ~$2.50 for that 40 miles. At the highest tier on non-TOU billing, that 40 miles would cost ~$4.59.