1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Sunroof Rattle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Midpack, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought my 2012 Prius Three a few months ago, just over 1K miles on it. I really like the car, but when I have the sunroof open, there's a rattle with any bump or road surface irregularities, almost anything will make it rattle. If I power the sunroof open further than the default position, the rattling seems to be reduced but not eliminated. I will have the dealer look at it when I take it in for it's 5K checkup, but that could be a while, so I thought I'd ask if it's something simple others have experienced.

My wife's '07 TCH has a sunroof and it developed a rattle but after a year or so. The dealer couldn't find anything obvious, so they've told us they'd have to tear it completely apart to diagnose and (hopefully) fix it, at our expense. We been hesitant to proceed.

Who knows, maybe we rattle!

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you certain it is the actual roof element, not the sliding shade? My shade does rattle when not closed.

3. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll check next time I'm out with the roof open, thanks!

4. WBB

WBB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

5. WBB

WBB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota sent 2 field engineers to look at my roofs rattle same as what you say yours is doing. They concluded that it is inherent in the 2012 Prius after test driving other Prius with the roof option.
    I just got the decision from the national center for dispute settlement (arbitration) the arbitrator found that the rattle did not cause a safety hazard, impair the use of the car or devalue the car. Claim denied for the vehicles replacement or refund for the cost of the roof option.
    The car was in the shop 3 times from 250 miles to today 6500 miles. Toyota has no fix for the sunroof rattle and could give a hoot.

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Actually they concluded, correctly in my opinion, that the occasional rattle has no negatives. I hear it occasionally on mine when open all the way (the 80% position doesn't seem to rattle at all) and pass an oncoming semi on a two lane road with both of us going 60 mph. It really takes a strong cross wind or turbulence to get it to rattle.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get it occasionally when fully open. It's so damn hot here that I rarely open it. :(

8. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't driven an affordable car that didn't have some sort of rattle. Turn up the radio and the noise may not be heard ;-)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

F8L likes this.
  9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do but not everyone likes Def Leppard as much as I do. :p

WE0H likes this.
  10. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Recently had my 5K service, and the dealer service dept confirmed the rattle. Said they needed to do some research to understand how to fix, and they'd get back to me. Been waiting for more than 2 weeks, so I'll give them a call...

11. WBB

WBB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota sent 2 field engineers to look at my roofs rattle same as what you say yours is doing. They concluded that it is inherent in the 2012 Prius after test driving other Prius with the roof option.
    I just got the decision from the national center for dispute settlement (arbitration) the arbitrator found that the rattle did not cause a safety hazard, impair the use of the car or devalue the car. Claim denied for the vehicles replacement or refund for the cost of the roof option.
    The car was in the shop 3 times from 250 miles to today 6500 miles. Toyota has no fix for the sunroof rattle and could give a hoot.
    WBB, Yesterday at 9:54 PM LikeReplyShare#5

12. WBB

WBB New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Midpack I'm in the Chicago land area too. The Toyota techs were from here also. Arlington toyotas service manager took charge and had them come out they changed the sunroofs track replaced the roof panel with another and still the rattles exists. Were screwed

13. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My sunroof doesn't rattle so its something that can be fixed. Now my dash and doors are a different story. But after numerous times back to the shop they fixed them.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you guys know what factory your car was built in?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717