1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius C (Japan-spec) First Drive

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 27, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

A Prius With Personality

When we press the start button, pop the conventional shifter into "D" and press the throttle, we almost forget we're in a hybrid. Instead of the lazy drivetrain response and slack steering we've come to associate with these cars, the Toyota Aqua just acts normal.

Through the city, the car feels quick and alert, and we'd guess that Toyota's 3.6-second claim for 25-40-mph acceleration isn't far off the mark. Only when you floor it does the planetary-type continuously variable transmission protest and deliver that wearying slipping-clutch feel endemic to CVTs. But then, foot to the firewall is not really what the Aqua is all about.

As in other Prius models, the gas engine links seamlessly with the electric motor, so you rarely notice the electric assist cutting in and out as you drive. Of course, there are the familiar Eco and EV modes for really devoted hybrid owners. Selecting Eco provides tamer response to gas pedal input and reduces air-conditioner intensity to save fuel. If you drive the Aqua gently, you can run it up to about 20 mph in EV mode and eke out about a mile of silent, emissions-free travel.

This Is How Every Hybrid Should Drive

Toyota equipped our test car with the optional Touring package, which will be offered in some form on the 2012 Toyota Prius C as well. This option group upgrades the car's standard 15-inch steel wheels and tires to a 16-inch alloy wheel/tire package, and provides a quicker steering ratio and a livelier suspension calibration, along with a roof spoiler and smoked headlamp lenses.

On paper, there's nothing special about the car's front strut/rear twist-beam setup, yet the suspension shows its worth in effectively cushioning out road impacts. Around corners, body roll is nicely contained and the steering is quick (2.3 turns lock to lock) and precise. The brakes are strong, and even with a regenerative mode, they always feel like real brakes. In contrast to the regular Prius, which does its best to isolate you from the business of driving a car, this 2012 Toyota Aqua engages you in an old-school sort of way.

Read More

4 people like this.
  2. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, rats. You just beat me. I came here to post this exact article and was feeling all clever and first-in-line! :p

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You seem excited about Prius c. Are you in the market for one?

4. Yespage

Yespage New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lazy response... associated with these cars? What Hybrid's are they driving?

I can't wait for this car to come out.

5. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Overall positive review with the only negatives being interior materials and styling, which is excused by the price Toyota is trying to press. GG.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, my wife thinks the Prius liftback is "sluggish": even in Power mode it doesn't quite respond like a regular car. If the c is set up the same as the Aqua and my wife agrees with the points in the review we could have a new car later this year. :D

I've also test driven a Honda Insight and when stopped that has a brief pause before it responds. I understand what the reviewer means, but I'm used to it with the Prius.

Like the reviewer I think they should have given up on the Insight and exported the Fit Hybrid: it makes sense for price as well as practicality.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know it drives well. It'll be nice to have the Prius c hold one outstanding factor (aside from the mpg side of things). Something to make it stand out in the increasingly crowded subcompact market.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think US version will have darker colors which will make it look better... but overall, interior is built for the price - between yaris and corolla in quality.

9. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am waiting for cleanmpg.com, Wayne Gerdes, to test drive a Prius C.
    Wayne will give a full review, if he can, on the Prius C.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I believe I said similiar back when the Insight2 price was announced. It felt like Honda didn't want to steal sales from the ICE Fit, but the Insight didn't offer anything beyond the hybrid for people to pay the increased price over a Fit or other subcompact.

I wonder what Honda's move will be once the c arrives? Lower Insight price or bring over the Fit hybrid. While there was things beyond there control last year, they have lost market share to Chyrsler.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If the c does add better handling and the options are priced right, it will get a big market share.

The hybrid fit is priced pretty high in europe. Honda was the biggest loser in autos last year. They seem to be betting on the accord phev and cr-z, and civic hybrid for the hybrid market.