1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius c Review - The Affordable 60 MPG* Monster

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Danny, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The most rarely used button on our climate control is Auto. The problem with it is that it will always start with the fan too high for our comfort. If Auto would allow you to set the fan to the upper limit of comfort it'd be great, but instead if you adjust the fan it turns it off. Is it really that hard to adjust the algorithm with a max fan setting?

Since Auto is unusable for us, we very much appreciate separate buttons.

1 person likes this.
  2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, I don't like the A/C air blowing directly at me at any speed, even the lowest setting. I aim the air vents up, so it circulates and cools the cabin air and never me directly, then the fan speed become irrelevant using Auto A/C or otherwise. This way, Auto A/C works perfectly fine.

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    wow could we please get more off-topic

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyway....

So the Prius c. Is this the Gen 1 Prius reincarnated? Small, relatively lightweight, great mileage but with a lower price tag and more standard features.

5. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I still have my 2001 Prius, as well as the 2010. Between the two car users in the house, the 2001 is the preferred car for short trips. The higher maneuverability in tight spots and higher visibility are significant. The only drawback is the MPG difference between the Gen I and Gen III. Now Toyota has solved this.....and lowered the price.

6. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's my point. The Fit tops out where this car starts.

Look... the only car directly competitive with the Prius c is the Honda Insight.

To say that the Prius c is priced "competitive with the rest of the subcompact market" is just wrong.

And to the others replying... please don't mix and match Canadian dollars, Singapore dollars, Mars dollars, or any other illogical comparisons. Stick with one currency for your comparisons.

If you want to make the argument that the total cost of ownership of the Prius c will be competitive with other subcompacts despite the price difference, then by all means make that argument and provide some factual data to back it up. But don't just state something that is false.

1 person likes this.
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Make an attempt to align packages in your price comparison, or your argument is silly.

8. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The more I look at the Prius C it reminds me a little of the
    1994 Honda Civic VX (2-door hatchback/5-speed) this was
    the rare one that got 50 mpg.

Back then I think the price was somewhere around $10,000 or so.

But that was in 1993 and the VX came with no ac, roll down, handle operated windows, no cruise control, and no power
    steering. About as basic as you can get, but you paid for the
    mpg's it got.

Now 19 years later and the Prius C. The basic model, is pretty
    much equipped nicely, even though there is no cruise control on the basic model.

Look how much more technology and safety with the Prius C, at nearly the same cost, in 2012 dollars, as the 1994 Honda Civic VX cost back in 1993.

9. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sadly that's not the way most car buyers shop, especially in the lower-priced segments. How quickly we forget the times when the Prius was compared to a corolla and people said that it had a $5k hybrid premium?

Same thing applies here. No one is going to bother going item-by-item to realize that this car is not as expensive as it seems. Look a few pages back, Dianne specifically said that this car will not attract Yaris buyers. It's just too expensive for them. The only competition this car has is Insight, along with perhaps a few buyers who were considering a corolla. A few Fit buyers too, of course, but by no means a majority.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still think it's very comparable...because Honda Fit Sport, at roughly 19000 is pretty comparable to Prius c 2...and guess what? Honda Fit Sport is missing one little upgrade- Hybrid Synergy Drive....

Of course I'm talking generalities...but I think Prius c, vs Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta and Mazda 3, Volkswagen Golf...all the upper end subcompact hatches...is very competitive, and since Prius c is a Hybrid...and those can't even compare on that playing field, I'm giving the edge to Prius c.

Trust me, less than 2 years ago, I looked at the entire Subcompact Hatch Market. Of course we are not comparing apples to apples, all I'm saying is $19,000 in the upper end Hatchback market...is not rare or unheard of...so right off the bat, Prius c, even sans HSD upgrade...is competitive in this market.

11. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    lol please, the people getting a Mazda3 or VW will never even consider this car.

12. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You sure about that? I know at least one friend who would trade her POS 2009 VW Golf for a Prius once her lease is up... I might just tell her about the c because it's the right price for a lot of people.

Also, I was thinking to trade down to a Mazda3 Skyactiv earlier this year, but the backseat space is so small, you could only fit three little dwarfs! That's a deal breaker for me because I fetch a whole range of different people in and out of church week in, week out. Not to mention more costly servicing and high running costs in general.

So don't be so surpised at all if they do... VW is gaining a lot of bad press lately due to their usual low reliability records.

13. toronado455

toronado455 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just because there is a slight overlap in the price range between two vehicles doesn't make them "price competitive" with each other. I mean, using that logic, we could argue that a Yaris is competitive with a Corolla which in turn is competitive with a Camry, etc, etc, etc.

"Priced competitive with the rest of the subcompact market" would mean it actually has the same price range as a subcompact, which it doesn't. The price range of the Prius c is closer in reality to the price range of a Matrix or an Impreza 5-door, both of which are larger cars, and definitely not subcompacts.

So yes, bottom line, you are still paying a premium for the hybrid technology.

14. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    me like the color multi info screen....
    me also like the MPG your getting
    me wants to have a prius C in the EU ;-) ( or smaller even better one )

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, this is like the Impreza dilemna. Impreza vs. other compacts. I don't know how it's priced in the US, but in Canada, even with the price drop, it's starts near the top of the Corolla range (and about mid range of the Civic and Mazda3 and near the base price of a Fusion). It runs into the same price as a midrange Camry, Accord, 6, Fusion etc.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you're probably right, people considering a Mazda3 or VW will flock to the Prius c in mass when gas reaches $4.50+ a gallon.

Really my argument is simple. I don't really care IF you think the Prius C is competitive in the standard subcompact market, or NOT competitive in the market.

Kudos to Toyota for bringing a totally unique product to the market. One which makes comparison somewhat difficult. Prius C will be the ONLY full HSD subcompact hatchback.

If you don't want to believe it is comparable or competitive with what I easily see as similar products at similar prices, fine.

I happen to own a Honda Fit, I've recently shopped the entire subcompact market, and what I see is sub-compact hatchback that embraces singular uniqueness in being a full hybrid with HSD...and one priced comparitively with othe higher end subcompacts.

Do you want to believe it's comparable and competitive? I don't care. Believe or not believe.

I think, even if I was relatively ignorant of the Hybrid world, at an entry level price, that includes a pretty well equipped level of standard equipment...I would certainly look at Prius C.

I think I am qualified to directly speak to the comparing Prius C to Honda Fit. First of visually? Very similar looking vehicles. And as far as price? Honda likes to charge you for every single extra possible, floormats, hatchcovers, center consoles...were not part of a package...you pay extra for these things.

You CAN very easily configure and purchase a Honda Fit that is in the Prius C price range.

To me? They look like very similar vehicles...from interior to exterior.

But ultimately? You DON'T think the Prius C will compete with "Whatever"? I don't care....don't think it will.

However, I think it's strange that people seem defensive about suggestions of what market a vehicle might compete.

Being the first full HSD subcompact hatchback available in the USA....it is pretty unique. Gas inches towards $5.00 a gallon? You know what the Prius C competes against? EVERYTHING.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Only if you get the fit sport with nav to does get over 19K. That has 16" tires and navigation. To get those things you need a IV trim with 16" tires. That doesn't seem like you should be comparing a prius c I (without even height adjustment in the seat or cruise control) to the most expensive fit.

IMHO given everything there is about a $2500 price premium on the prius c to the fit. Some people will pay it to use less gas. If you are choosing a mazda 3 skyactiv over a fit, the odds are you want a car that is even more fun to drive. I don't think you will drop 1/3 of your hp and your handling setup to buy a prius c.

1 person likes this.
  18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

doesnt III get the entune? you have no entune in Fit... nor you have hybrid... nor you have digital air, smart entry, 3.5" color info screen standard, etc, etc.

You do pay more... but you pay more for more, it is pretty clear.

19. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lets not forget resale value. Some cars may cost you less
    money but they will loose most of their resale value.

The Prius appears to hold its value quite well and I wouild expect
    the Prius C will hold its resale value.

Of course if, no lets not say if but WHEN, gas goes to $5 and more
    per gallon you will probably have no desire to sell your Prius.

20. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was adding prices for that more, including cvt. Actual price difference is $4500 not $2500. We should not pretend there is not a hybrid premium. I was countering electricme's $19K figure which requires you really want nav and 16" wheels, otherwise the standard honda fit $16,800 is equiped similarly to the prius c II $20,700 prices include delivery not taxes.

2 people like this.