1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Check hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joshfrom407, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another option might be to buy 2 modules from Hybrid Automotive along with their Prolong reconditioning system. The price would still be less expensive than battery pack replacement and the Prolong system can recoup some life from the other modules through deep discharging & grid charging.
    @Raytheeagle is one of our user experts here on that system.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’s a tough question and one that will require careful consideration :

• Can it be done: Yes
    • Do you have the skills and tools to undertake a rebuild?
    • Will you recondition the pack once te new modules are placed in service?
    • Do you know where to get quality modules?
    • Do you have time to recondition the battery periodically?
    • If the pack fails and strands you or is out of service for periods of time, do you have another car?
    These questions will help you with the next steps ;).

Keep us posted(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  3. Joshfrom407

Joshfrom407 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will look into that option for sure then. I have always been curious. Are you guys techs at dealers or just passions DIYs? You all seem to have abundant knowledge on these topics.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Chemical engineer by education ;).

Garage tinkerer by choice:).

m.wynn and Joshfrom407 like this.
  5. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No mention of the accumulator code on the VDR:whistle:?...

As Chap mentioned, that could have been condition specific and not an actual issue. I'd drink to that...for now:cool:.

I'll +3 or 4 or however many it is to check in with Todd as you explore your battery options. He's an asset to your region. Also, Toyota has recently lowered hybrid battery MSRP ~$400, so we SHOULD see rebuilders adjusting down a tad, too

6. Hybrid Battery Exchange

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This battery looks like a former Uber/Taxi. How many miles on the car?

Replacing one or two blocks isn't going to do it, the entire center of the battery is weak compared to the outside modules. This battery has maybe 10-15 usable modules the rest are significantly degraded having spent their life at higher temps than the outside of the pack. Get a new battery for $2600 if you are planning on keeping the car, otherwise swap a module and trade it in.

Mendel Leisk, Prodigyplace and m.wynn like this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Joshfrom407 likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you look closely, I think you'll see a general sag in voltage in the middle. Highest voltages are on the ends and they gradually get lower as you move toward the middle of the battery. This makes sense since the middle is the hottest part. I'm pretty sure that if you just replace the two worst ones, you'll soon be tearing apart your battery again. even if you do a perfect grid charge after the rebuild.

At least give Todd (@TampaPrius.com) a call. This guy knows Prius batteries like no one I've ever met. Unlike the Toyota dealer, all he does is hybrids and electrics and he started out with just Prius. He'll almost certainly be worth the drive.

m.wynn, Joshfrom407 and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles/years would you like to keep it? does it burn any oil?

10. Joshfrom407

Joshfrom407 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car has 130,000 miles on it. Also it doesn’t seem to burn any oil from what I can tell. I would like to get to 200k at the very minimum. I do my very best to understand every car I own and take care of it to the best of my ability. I called Todd and left a message so I hope to hear back from him Monday morning.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a new oem is your best bet then.

m.wynn and jerrymildred like this.
  12. creatorcake

creatorcake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I say yes you can get modules for around $50 a piece looks like you need 2 I have same issue and planning that route I guess it depends on your ability to do it yourself. also look into prolong battery charger and conditioning system its 480 and may keep battery alive for life of vehicle. thats my plan anyway and I could be wrong but I feel confident it will work from the research ive done so far I am still waiting for more feedback from members.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’ve used the Prolong to maintain our 2010, share it with another member here who has an 07 and now also an 06 that the Prolong was used to rebuild the battery after one cell failed. Also helped another member here replace 2 modules in his pack and he’s been running better than ever for over 6 months now:).

For the DIY type, the Prolong equipment is a powerful tool for the tool box;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Grit likes this.
  14. creatorcake

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am still wondering if I should try to recondition battery before replacing any modules or is that a bad idea?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. creatorcake

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    does hybrid battery exchange sell modules for 2014 prius ?

16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can try but typically if you’ve lost a cell in a module (confirm with a proper code reader which module is bad) they don’t recover:(.

There are 6 cells per module and 2 modules per block. Each cell is 1.2 volts. So a nominal module voltage is 7.2 volts. Then for 28 of them summed up, you’ll get the pack voltage;).

All you will loose is a bit of time, but since you’ll pull the cover off the pack, I’d just check to see which one is low with a multimeter, then plan to buy as many modules as you need for replacement before proceeding (y).

To source replacement modules, you can check with the following sources on here:

• @jeff652 sells them (he sold you the hybrid Automotive equipment you just bought)
    • @TMR-JWAP also sells them (I believe he also does sell some nickel bus bars to replace the copper ones that corrode in the pack as well)
    Hope that helps (y).

Grit, jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. creatorcake

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thank you

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Jakemathews

Jakemathews New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    have a 2012 Toyota Prius and got the code P0A80. Was diagnosed by the toyota dealership at 170k miles few weeks ago and they said that the hybrid battery pack needs to be replaced. So i found a reputable hybrid battery shop that i have used previously as well for 2 of my other priuses before and worked great. This time i got the battery pack replaced and the codes were cleared via obd2 scanner. Car has been driving perfectly fine after the battery change “well it drive even fine with the bad battery pack”. The mpg has been decent at 40.5 to 43 depending on a/c usage. So here is the problem i took the car into a california smog inspection place and they failed the car for P0A80 “permanent code”. I went and through a few connections used a big “snap on scanner for professionals” the scanner read no current, no pending, no permanent codes and all monitors were completed for smog. Took it back to the hybrid battery shop he hooked u his “hybrid battery scanner” and determined and showed me while he hooked it up that the car has 2 ECU “1 main ECU” “2 hybrid xyz type ecu” 2 nd ecu is located in front by the passenger side foot area. ECU 2 was the one with the code stored as P0A80 and the hybrid guy said only option i have is to drive it or take it to toyota and get it flashed. Took it to miller toyota and they flashed the ecu many times and could not get the code to clear. They recommended replace hybrid battery pack. Took it back to the hybrid battery shop without questions they put in another hybrid battery. Drove the car 400 miles and still the issue is the car will not pass smog because P0A80 is stored in the ECU as a permanent code. Any help would be apprciated. 12v battery was checked to be in good condition but had it die on me this morning so i purchased a new aftermarket one. The 12v battery has 410 cold cranking amps and the other one from toyota had 380 is this a problem? Parts store said this 12v battery is made specifically for the prius.

19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are near Hybrid Pit. @sfv41901 is a trusted expert here.

20. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Throw twchstream on it and erase it that way or go to another smog check place.