1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Gen 3 - Blown Engine 151,265 miles -Value?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Joe Wolf, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Joe Wolf

Joe Wolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    III
    Engine block needs to be replaced on my 2012 Toyota Prius Gen 3 – 151265 miles. It runs but starts shaking at 15-20 mph. Toyota quoted $8k for the fix. Another mechanic in town offered $3.2k total to put in a low mileage engine. Toyota offered $2k to trade it in. Have $3500 left on the loan. 6-inch crack in the windshield. Passenger side taillight cracked.

If I don’t plan on keeping it, what sound like my best bet – getting the engine replaced and reselling it private party or trading it in for $2k? $2k- good or bad deal for a car in this condition? Getting it towed multiple places to get appraisals can add up so it’s hard to find the value.

TheeWood likes this.
  2. TheeWood

TheeWood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a lot of good questions. Have you considered parting it out? Might want to post it in the for sale forum and see what happens.

3. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You won't get anything for it if you trade it in....they'll get it back on the car you buy. How low is the mileage on that used engine? And from what year Prius?
    I think I'd have that done and keep driving it if "low mileage is say, 75k or less and all the better if it's from a 2015.....from the local guy, not the stealership.

4. Fierofly

Fierofly Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do a search on installing a 2017 engine. That's what I did. $600 for a 23k 2017 engine.

TheeWood likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look up the kbb value

6. Majafamily

Majafamily Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't think repairing would be more profitable if you sell it or trade it in.

I believe replacing the engine and keeping the vehicle, selling as is, or parting out are your best options. Probably more the last two options as there's still a cracked windshield and tail light.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you still owe so much on a 2012? Did you buy used and finance?