1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In: 15 mile EV range, 87 MPGe, $32,000

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 16, 2011.

1. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I had a 2005 and now a 2010.
    The question about the plugin.

Assuming a fully charged battery and starting on a cold morning, and going on a 4 mile trip.
    When does the EV mode start?
    The 2010 needs a certain amount of running time before EV kicks in.

2. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The plug-in does not start the warm up cycle until shortly before charge depletion. So you can do 3 to 4 of those trips without lighting the ICE.

3. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heavy? The heat pump uses the same parts as the Air Conditioner, save for a small refrigerant reversing valve. Complex, this at least has some truth, but it can't be that hard to do, as they've been doing it since the mid 1800's!!!

The real reason is probably cost. It's probably not as much an issue on a PHEV with this short of range, but it stinks that Toyota went through all the trouble to engineer it, then scrapped it. If you preheat, the Thermal mass of the Cabin, Coolant Loop, Heater core, Engine (assuming it gets heated too), etc. Is probably enough to get the car to where it's going in All-Electric mode before the cold sets in.

It would have been nice to have as an option though, maybe for people that are considering adding electric range. =)

-Phil

4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There's a couple more reasons not to use a heat-pump for heat in an EV:

1. You still need resistance backup heat for when it gets too cold (heat pump efficiency drops at low temperatures) and when you have to run it in reverse anyway to de-ice the condenser (when it's cold out it will freeze).
    2. Very often when it's cold you need to run the A/C AND heat to dehumidify the air. Can't do this with just one heat-pump system, so you might want 2 systems, anyway.

So it's not as easy as it sounds to use a heat-pump for heat in an EV - I still want it, though!

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    EV1 - Innovate

Not sure how well it worked, but my guess is the prius phv has a less expensive system.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The system the 2010 PHV Prius had was quite complex. I can see where it would have added cost to the vehicle, enough to remove it. Would I have like it? Yes, of course, but would I want to pay for it to get it considering where pricing came in at? No way.

1 person likes this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant production 2012 phv has a less expensive system than the ev1 and demo phv. I would be surprised if the added expense of the unit in the demo cars added all that much to efficiency, but would love to hear if there is data.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was not directing that post at you austingreen, just posting it in general...

EVO 4G ?.

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I second what Paradox says. We saw the presentation and it's fairly involved and perhaps Toyota decided that at this time, it's not worth the money to further develop it. It has limited uses in the sense that those in cold climates (I'm not talking about the Pac NW!), may not benefit from it because at temps below about 14°F/-10°C, the engine will come on to provide heat so the engine will idle anyway.

There's also the marketing part of it ("You said there was an electric heater but my engine still idles at 0°F! This doesn't work! I expected to commute to work in EV mode at -20°F").

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know how strong a supplementary electric heater is?
    Is it sames as regular Prius or stronger than it?
    If it is stronger, how much kW heating power?

Ken@Japan

11. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It takes a lot of kw to run the heater in the Volt. I don't think this will be any different for the PiP. Can run the A/C with no issues, but the heater decreases overall range like you wouldn't believe. Is why I am finally breaking down and doing the 240V charger so I can pre-condition the car on the house power before going to work when it gets really cold.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It gets cold enough for a heater in Florida ??? :eek:

Mike :pound:

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He needs to update his profile. Virginia can be quite colder. ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL.. I do need to update my profile. Thanks for the reminder Trollbait. I am cold sensitive anyway by nature so yes I do use the heater quite a lot in Jacksonville. Sometimes it does get down into the 20's and 30's... Not to mention when it is over 100 all summer, and then it goes into the 60's it does seem extremely cold. Virginia is a lot colder though, and that is why I am finally getting the 240V charger as I want to pre-heat the car.