1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In: 15 mile EV range, 87 MPGe, $32,000

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 16, 2011.

1. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just watched the video.
    The PHEV mpg bar graph still tops off at 99.9? Cons. display also? So there's no way besides figuring out yourself that you're beyond 100 mpg?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Those complaining bout lack of solar roof - remember, it adds 60+lbs. The PHV is < 200lbs heavier than the refresh 2012 Prius, but I wouldn't want to add the weight/complexity of the solar roof on top of the additional battery weight, combined w/ the Advanced equipment, nor would I want the $1800 premium.

Wheels, they do look great. See pics I was able to take today at the press event.

[​IMG]

Unique plug-in badging above the glove compartment:
    [​IMG]

The EV button. On paper, the car starts in HV mode until you switch to EV though.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, I'm confused (hope is hasn't been discussed already or elsewhere), the US version has EV, eco and power buttons just like the regular 3rd gen but with different behavior and NOT the HV/EV, EV city and eco buttons as shown at http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...-official-photos-released-2.html#post1387342?

4. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not complaining about a lack of SOLAR roof, It's the lack of a SUN roof period. At least like the Prius V's foreward sun roof.

[​IMG]
    Take out the power seat, how much does that weigh? I'm sure much less than one of the polycarb panels on the V. As far as the rim design goes, I'm not liking it but of course that's personal prefference. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that the PHV will fit the bill for many and I'm really bummed after being hyped up but alas I'll sit and wait for the car to get past it's first evolution.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmmmm I feel disappointed by the price. If it's $30k then with all our taxes it'll be £30k. Or £10k more than the existing Prius. Deduct the £5k EV grant and you get £25k or the same price as a Leaf. Funny that.

So by having grants to encourage EV's it turns out the manufacturers all happen to turn up with the same price, and probably one that is just on the border of what people will pay.

I've had the wind blown from my sails here too and think I'll be keeping my ol' girl a bit longer now.

And here in Europe we have the Renault Fluence coming in a £3k LESS than a base Prius (not PHEV). Buy one of those for your commute and a cheap petrol car for £8k for the longer trips and still be better off.

6. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Perhaps I missed it, but does the plug-in Prius have an electric heater in addition to the heated seats?

I have seen some here express the opinion that they don't want the heated seats, but it is the most efficient way to keep you warm in winter. When using the battery to heat the interior, the electric only range would drop dramatically.

7. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)I'm not an apologist-I would like some more bold colors too and can't believe that 4 out of 5 are in the gray scale.

2)The sales regions were allowed to pick the 5 colors and this is what they selected.

3)80% of all Toyotas sold are in the gray scale color range...believe it or don't it's what sells.

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately it has a traditional/conventional heater--meaning that if you want heat, other than that provided by the heated seats, you have to run the car in HV mode.

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the press release I read said PHV has stronger electric heater core in addition to heated seats.

It also has remote climate control so you can pre-warm using power from the plug before you unplug it and drive away.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My photos from the North American reveal of the 2012 Plug-in Prius and the 2012 Prius mid-cycle refresh:
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/efusco/sets/72157627562385671/"]Plug-In Prius - a set on Flickr[/ame]

4 people like this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looks like we get more than one of those gauges too. 1 and 2 ?

[​IMG]

13. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Finally, a great looking set of 15" alloys from Toyota (for the Prius). Wonder how widely available they will be?

[​IMG]

14. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes.

Nope. It has standard heated seats and an electric heater.

Nope. We've done away with the heat pump system on the demo model - it was heavy and complex. So there is only pre-cooling on the remote system.

Good catch. The display you see is prototype. The production model will reach 999 MPG on the display.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

15 people like this.
  15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to Prius team for confirming the MPG display issue, Happy!

Do you know at this time that Fog Lamps maybe offered as an accessory for the base plug-In?

16. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You say the car does have an electric heater but can not be preheated while plugged in?

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at green drive expo checking out the car and man it looks great! The interior is miles ahead of the GenII.

If you have questions feel free to post them and i'll talk to Doug and see if he can answer them.

18. cashcorn

cashcorn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it looks like there are a couple of different style of wheels is this correct? i see a five spoke & the multi spoke, are they both available?

19. cashcorn

cashcorn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can I plug -into a 240 recpt with out buying the levinton charger and is the 240 cord available from toyota?

20. cashcorn

cashcorn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what are the optional interior colors? is black available?