1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In: 15 mile EV range, 87 MPGe, $32,000

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 16, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Pastels are apparently in vogue, and I, quite clearly, am not. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That was brought up by a few while out there for the event, but when I say a few I mean a few. Generally, most people welcomed the changes and improvements made since the Gen III release. The LED parking lights atop the headlight assembly look great and the LED daytime running lights are a welcomed and good looking addition. The silver and chrome accents on the front end of the plug in are there only on the plug in. On the Prius liftback, it's all black minus the chrome and stainless looking strip.

Here's a pic of a Prius liftback in Barcelona red with the new front end and new gloss back airdamn trim. I know it is subjective but I actually like it...

[​IMG]

And please, the above picture is NOT a plug in version, just want to again clarify that. It's for reference showing the front end without the plug ins chrome and stainless accenting.

3. vfrmike1

vfrmike1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I am very fortunate to have such a short commute. Being in a rural community helps. If it were flat around here I'd just ride the bicycle. Heck, I should just get a golf cart!!

4. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I thought I was alone. Pastels look great on dental equipment and houses in Bermuda but the car---Not so much:rolleyes:

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's two photos of a Seaglass Pearl. The first I took with my own Canon ELPH and the second is a Toyota released photo. In person on the day I took my photo, under the full sunlight I can say it did look as light as it does in the picture I took. But inside it certainly did appear darker and with a bit more green hue to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nice find Sergiospl, the author of the article was right behind us at the press conference. I was hoping to read the article she was going to write.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is it me or does it look a little bit like Jar Jar Binks? ;)

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jar_Jar_Binks]Jar Jar Binks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

9. ej_san_fran

ej_san_fran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's a big issue for plug-in hybrids: how much does the electricity cost?

Some basic numbers for the Prius plug-in: you might save $400/year on gas by driving 5000 miles (15 miles/day) on electricity.
    Those electric miles use around 2000 kWh (at 87 MPGe) of electricity.

If I keep my ordinary PG&E E-1 schedule, the electricity for the car comes on top of my regular electricity usage.
    It will end up in tier 3 and get charged at $0.30/kWh. That amounts to $600/year in electricity cost for 2000 kWh.
    That's more than I save on gas!

So I need to switch to PG&E schedule E-9A and charge the car only between midnight and 7AM.
    That's inconvenient, by the way, because I'd prefer to be able to top the battery up during the day to get extra electric miles out of it.
    Anyway, with night charging and schedule E-9A the charging costs only around $0.06/kWh, which comes out to $120/year.
    However, my regular summer peak baseline electricity usage now gets billed at $0.30/kWh instead of $0.12.
    That is clearly an expensive penalty. How much it is precisely depends on the electricity usage pattern of each household.
    If my household uses up my 7.5 kWh/day baseline ration during summer peak hours, it would cost me $243/year in extra baseline charges.
    Thus, total electricity cost for the Prius comes to $363, or about the same as the fuel cost savings!
    With this calculation the plug-in Prius makes no financial sense whatsoever.

PG&E has a rate calculator on-line that comes up with slightly different numbers, although they don't explain their calculation.
    They give a cost of $17/month or $204/year with schedule E-9A (their calculator doesn't list the Prius yet, so as vehicle I used a Chevy Volt doing 15 miles per day).
    Using the PG&E number, net fuel cost saving for the Prius is only around $200/year. That's not much.

What about charging stations? To be commercially viable they would probably need to charge around $0.20/kWh (more during summer peak hours), or also just about the same as the cost of gas, giving me no financial advantage.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nah.

More in the range of 1000 - 1250 kwh.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    lol. Definitely not in the sex/animal/aggression genres.

Thankfully

Come to think of it, I'd say Jar jar's eyes, and Dath's jaw.

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So, what's the verdict on the 8-way power seat? Comfy? Well padded? Good lumbar?

13. ej_san_fran

ej_san_fran New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the 87 MPGe is the electricity usage according to the EPA standard. That's is equivalent to 38.5 kWh/100 miles, or 1924 kWh for 5000 miles.
    Where do you get your number from? It would imply that the EPA number is extremely pessimistic compared to real life performance.

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I've never particularly found the Prius seats uncomfortable so having more ways of adjusting them really wasn't something I needed.

I did play around with it and certainly you can find a much more configurable seating position with it so if seat comfort was a concern in the past this should certainly help.

More than the 8 way power seat I immediately noticed a difference in the new SofTex seating surface compared to the leather in my 2010. It seems much softer and you do not slide around on it like you do the leather. Toyota says it is lighter than leather so reduces weight a bit and is MUCH more durable. First impressions are that I like it. And I like what they did with the interior. The black dash, door and center console are beautiful IMO and give the car a richness the dark grey didn't provide.

2 people like this.
  15. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    EPA uses 33.7 kwh/gallon.

So, 87 MPGe = 2.58 m/kwh. Leaf, BTW, is about 2.94 m/kwh. For 5K miles, you will spend about 1,936 kwh - close to your 2K figure.

If you drive better it will be lesser - my usage is 30% better than EPA estimate for Leaf, for eg.

Oh - yes - the economics depends on your electricity rates. You need to charge at night and get TOU rates.

16. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the great pic. Just to repeat your message "THIS IS NOT THE 2012 PRIUS PHV"
    This is a Smokin' shot! The car looks like it's out for blood, an agressive stance in a bold paint job and sporty rims. Unfortunatly the new colors suggests that we're going out for a spot of tea. The new rims suggest Lincoln Continental with cheap wheel covers, have fun cleaning them. No insult intended - It's just my own view:rolleyes:

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    those charging rates are rediculous any estimated performance is just as ridiculous. I am just under 4 miles per kilowatt in a hillier in puper area like san francisco your numbers would not be as good but I bet you could easily do 3.5

out even if you only charge during the best rates you can still do over 5000 miles at less than 2 cents a mile. a 50 mile per gallon this is get you nearly 8 cents mile so you would realize a gas savings of 300 dollars a year over a very high mileage car.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, look through my photos, there's a shot with covers on and covers off.

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My bad, must've been thinking about the refresh on the 2012.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Or ... if you possibly can ... going solar gives you free juice after the initial payback/cash outlay. That payback for PV can take place anywhere from 4 to 10 years. But that also means you got juice for your house AND your car. Lets see you manufacture your own fuel for typical ICE car
    ;)